Donnalia is focusing ever more on exports

Excellent prospects for the 2020 Sicilian apricots campaign

The very first apricot harvests in Sicily started a few days ago, and this year is expected to show signs of discontinuity compared to 2019. The situation was assessed by the Di Pasquale brothers from Delia, Sicily, whose core business is stone fruit.

Angelo and Vincenzo Di Pasquale

"After a not very positive 2019 with regard to summer fruit - said Vincenzo and Angelo Di Pasquale - we are ready to start again with another new season of apricots, and then continue with peaches and nectarines, which represent the main production of the farm. Compared to last year, the situation seems quite different, as the production of apricots in the country has dropped by 56%."

The decrease in yield is due to climatic factors that have compromised a large part of the national production. In Sicily, however, there is estimated to be "a more moderate loss of around 20%", and a very good overall quality.

"The quality is excellent - continued the founders of the brand Donnalia - as we have a sweeter product, with at least 1-2 Brix degrees compared to last year. All these very promising aspects give us hope, since consumers, even those living abroad, are now much more informed and aware of the organoleptic characteristics and, above all, of the taste."

Donnalia, after all, is the company's premium brand that focuses on the taste and appearance of the fruit.

"At the moment, market prices for the production are quite wide. We talk about prices ranging from 0.40 to 1.00 Euro per kg. In summary, this depends on the organoleptic characteristics of the product on the tree. It is no coincidence that we have made important varietal choices so as not to disappoint the consumer.

Today the company exports only 15% of its production abroad, while the remaining 85% remains in Italy, "but this result is expected to change, because of new partnerships currently underway."

"As things stand at the moment, one of the challenges that we are facing," concluded the businessmen, "is once again the Spanish product, even though the large-scale retail trade is committed to supporting the national product. We will keep on following the road to sustainability with our valuable packaged products that have a low environmental impact. Standing out among these is the 'Medaglione' box (see photo above) in 500g cardboard.

Contact:
Società Agricola Di Pasquale Srl
Via Michelangelo, 7
93010 Delia (CL) - Italia
Phone.: +39 (0)922 826009 /+39 339 4895230
Fax: +39 (0)922 826009
Email: amministrazione@dipasqualeortofrutta.com
Website: www.donnalia.com


Publication date:
©



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber