Agricultural producers in the Vinalopó region have demanded a “Law of the Food Chain” and “Fair prices and a decent income for the sector”, in addition to water for the province of Alicante, a reduction in the price of insurance and tax benefits. This was done in a protest held on February 25, in which about 400 tractors and about 2,000 participants gathered in Monforte del Cid.
The participating municipalities have been Monforte, Novelda, Aspe, La Romana, Agost, Hondón de las Nieves and Hondón de los Frailes. As for the agricultural sector, there were representatives from ASAJA, the Designation of Origin, COAG, UPA, La Unió, Fexphal, Cooperativa Agrícola Agost, Cooperativa Agrícola Monforte del Cid and Cooperativa del Campo Santa María.
Before the protest blocked the highway in the direction of Madrid, journalist Jesús Ayala read a manifesto that contained all of the sector's demands, including:
- Recognition by the Government of the agricultural sector as a strategic sector of the country.
- Fair prices for the products with the modification of the Law of the Food Chain and the prohibition of sales at a loss.
- Reduction of fiscal pressure, personal income tax and taxes on diesel, electricity, fertilizers, social insurance, etc.
- Implementation of a viable and accessible agricultural insurance.
- Certainty, availability and political commitment in relation to irrigation water and the management of water resources in Spain.
- Policies to prevent third countries from exerting unfair competition.
- Striving to put an end to trade barriers and unfair and discriminatory tariffs (US tariffs, Russian veto, brexit).
- Appreciation of the work of agricultural producers and ranchers, who generate stable employment and wealth in rural areas and supply healthy and quality food.
- A Law for a clear labeling of agricultural products.
- The negotiation of the CAP.
- Measures to control input prices.