China recently registered requirements relating to food labels with the WTO's TBT committee. No proposed enforcement date for these regulations has been announced. The United States Department of Agriculture published these rules in a report. This report details the requirements food labels must meet.
Some of the rules:
- The label's font color must contrast as much as possible with the background color.
- The font may not be smaller than 1,8 mm in size.
- Regular Chinese characters must be used; other languages may also be used. These languages' letters may never be larger than the Chinese characters.
- Labels must be affixed either to the product's smallest possible unit or its packaging.
- If a product is vegetarian, handmade, or imitation, this must be written in front of the product's name.
Source: China Notifies Draft Measures on Supervision and Management of Food Labeling