France and Morocco, the largest suppliers

Spanish horticultural imports from third countries at same level as those from the EU

According to the latest data published by the Spanish Department of Customs and Special Taxes, corresponding to the period from January to September 2019, 50.3% of the fresh fruits and vegetables imported by Spain came from the EU, totaling 1.18 million tons. The remaining 49.7%, 1.16 million tons, came from third countries, with France and Morocco as the leading suppliers.

During the first nine months of 2019, the share of EU fruits and vegetables in Spanish imports has been reduced compared to the same period of previous years, despite the fact that imports have grown. In 2015, they accounted for 58% of the total, with 1 million tons, and this year for 50.3%, with 1.18 million tons. In the case of non-EU countries, Spanish imports in 2015 amounted to 784,271 tons; 42% of the total, and this year they have stood at 1.16 million tons; 47.9% of the total.

France remains the leading supplier, with 565,154 tons and a 13% decline in the period from January to September 2019 compared to 2018, although the trend in recent years has been positive. In terms of value, imports of French origin grew by 21%, totaling 243 million Euro.

Morocco is the second largest supplier in the Spanish market, with 337,514 tons (+5%) worth 513 million Euro (+1%). Morocco's growth has been sustained over time, going from 186,925 tons between January and September 2015 to 337,514 tons in the same period of 2019. In terms of value, Moroccan exports have gone from 258.5 million Euro in 2015 to 513 million Euro in 2019.

For FEPEX, although the import data reveal a global decline in EU imports in the Spanish market, the main suppliers, and especially France, still have a strong presence. As for third countries, Morocco consolidates as the biggest competitor of the Spanish sector in the domestic market, with a very negative impact on prices at origin and destination.

 

Source: fepex.es


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber