Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

South Africa is the main destination for Uvasdoce's Spanish grapes

The Uvasdoce company from Monfort, which last year had a turnover of more than 11 million euro, has managed to transform the South African market into the main destination for its exports, ahead of the United Kingdom or any other European country.

This destination has become its largest market abroad, with more than 35% of its total exports, thanks to the agreement that it maintains to supply Woolworths, one of the main distribution chains in South Africa. According to the company, which recognized that they had also decided to strengthen this market due to the doubts raised by the Brexit, last year alone they sent 30 containers with about 400,000 kilos to this destination.

Even though the company concentrates around three-quarters of its business in Spanish territory, where it supplies grapes to several of the main supermarket chains in the country, exports are gaining more and more weight and already exceeds 25% of the business. The company is also working to diversify its markets abroad and has its eyes set on Southeast Asia and, especially, in Singapore and Malaysia, where it sees the greatest opportunities to achieve new sales, according to its managers.

Seedless varieties
Within its growth plans, Uvasdoce has also opted to increase its own production, which currently accounts for approximately 55% of the fruit it sells. The company acquires the remaining 45% from local producers or imports it. With this measure, it aims to increase the quality control of the product, given the increasing demands of supermarkets. The firm has also made a remarkable effort in the varietal reconversion of its vines, which has focused especially on betting on seedless varieties, as they are currently the most demanded variety by consumers. According to the company, more than 90% of all the grapes they sell are already of this type. According to company sources, they expect these changes will allow them to grow at a 15% rate in the coming years.

Packs for New Year's Eve to encourage fruit consumption among children
Uvasdoce appeared in 2000 as a new business line of Frutas La Ballena, which it has now absorbed. It specializes in the production of 12-grape packs for the celebration of New Year's Eve, an activity that still reports a good part of its income, as pointed out by the company, which ensures that last year it sold more than 600,000 units. Now the firm has also launched a pack aimed at promoting consumption among children, with varieties of flavors and the possibility of accessing a small video game.



Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

© 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber