Global G.A.P. announced that Tesco is the first UK retailer to require their suppliers of bananas to be assessed against the Global G.A.P. TR4 Biosecurity add-on.
A statement from Tesco declared, to support the protection of banana production globally, and help minimize the spread of the disease Fusarium Wilt Tropical Race 4 (TR4), also known as “Foc 4”, Tesco has decided to implement the Global G.A.P. TR4 Biosecurity Add-on for all Tesco banana producers globally.
As a requirement to supply bananas to Tesco, this will take effect immediately, and producers are expected to implement measures to prevent the introduction of TR4 and they must be assessed against the Global G.A.P. add-on during their next Tesco Nurture assessment.
Add-on provides vital advantages
The Add-on helps banana farmers to:
- Implement biosecurity measures that will help prevent the introduction of TR4 into the farm.
- Raise awareness of the risks posed by TR4 to banana production.
- Gain access to resources on this subject that will help them to continuously improve their practices.
- Demonstrate that they have implemented measures against this pathogen and can thus ensure long-term sustainability on their farm.
- Identify the risks for banana production today.
Farmers will receive a TR4 Letter of Conformance, and the results of the assessment will be visible in the Global G.A.P. Database. Tesco banana producers must ask their Certification Body to perform the TR4 Biosecurity assessment together with their normal Global G.A.P. IFA and Tesco Nurture assessment.