- Head Grower/Director of Growing - Crawfordville (FL) USA
- Project Manager Assistant - USA
- Apple Quality Manager - Wolcott (NY) USA
- General Manager - Wolcott (NY) USA
- Technical Services Supervisor - Hamburg, Germany
- Cultivation Control Systems Manager - Colorado, USA
- Sales Manager based in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany
- Category Manager (Mangoes, Melons & Pines) - Sydney or Brisbane, Australia
- General Manager - Commercial | Murcia, Spain | Fruit
- Junior Growers - UAE and Saudi
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Study shows grapes provided more antioxidant protection for eyes than lutein
Grapes may help prevent age-related blindness
The study compared the impact of an antioxidant-rich diet on vision using mice prone to developing retinal damage in old age in much the same way as humans do. Mice either received a grape-enriched diet, a diet with added lutein, or a normal diet.
The result? Grapes proved to offer dramatic protection: the grape-enriched diet protected against oxidative damage of the retina and prevented blindness in those mice consuming grapes. While lutein was also effective, grapes were found to offer significantly more protection.
“The protective effect of the grapes in this study was remarkable, offering a benefit for vision at old age even if grapes were consumed only at young age,” said principal investigator Silvia Finnemann, PhD, Department of Biological Sciences, Fordham University in New York.
Dr. Finnemann noted that results from her study also suggest that age-related vision loss is a result of cumulative, oxidative damage over time. “A lifelong diet enriched in natural antioxidants, such as those in grapes, appears to be directly beneficial for retinal health and function.”
AMD is a progressive eye condition, leading to the deterioration of the center of the retina, called the macula. It is the leading cause of blindness in the elderly. Oxidative damage and oxidative stress are thought to play a pivotal role in the development of AMD.
“Preserving eye health is a key concern as we age and this study shows that grapes may play a critical role in achieving this,” said Kathleen Nave, president of the California Table Grape Commission. “This is good news for consumers of all ages who enjoy grapes, and adds to the growing body of evidence that grapes offer an array of health benefits.”
The California Table Grape Commission was created by the California legislature in 1967 to increase worldwide demand for fresh California grapes through a variety of research and promotional programs.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-07-03 Zespri welcomes Alastair Hulbert and Giorgio Comino to the team
- 2020-07-03 Harvest House turnover grows by over 10%
- 2020-07-03 Peter van Dijck new president of Cooperative Fossa Eugeniana U.A.
- 2020-07-03 "Climatic complications have not reduced the consumption or stopped Metis' expansion"
- 2020-07-03 Supporting food insecure families and farmers impacted by the pandemic
- 2020-07-03 "We obtained the best results in our 10-year history "
- 2020-07-03 The first Latin American company to implement the AgroPreven-19 protocol is from Costa Rica
- 2020-07-02 Idai Nature suits acquisitions well
- 2020-07-02 Several projects around organic farming for Idyl this year
- 2020-07-02 "From one truck to ten in less than four years"
- 2020-07-02 Eric Oving new CEO of HYTT Hygienic Transport systems & Technologies
- 2020-07-01 Alberto Medina-Mora joins Fall Creek Farm & Nursery as regional director for Mexico
- 2020-07-01 Harvesting commences at one of Zimbabwe’s bigger blueberry projects
- 2020-07-01 Florette starts construction of its new production center in Tarragona, its seventh in Spain
- 2020-07-01 Prominent turns 25
- 2020-06-30 DiMare Fresh approved for second round of USDA Farmers to Families Food Box program
- 2020-06-30 "Great taste and quality always come out on top"
- 2020-06-30 Apeel and Robinson Fresh® bring longer-lasting limes to new supermarket locations
- 2020-06-30 “Our new home compostable tray is an asset in the context of a saturated avocado market”
- 2020-06-29 Innovative technology enables setup of trading facility within two days