- General Manager - Farming / QLD, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
- Hoofd Engineering - Gameren, Nederland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Violence in Mexico puts avocado exports to the US at risk
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Clearing the rubble in Spain after the severe weather; leafy vegetable shortages a sure thing in the winter"
Study shows grapes provided more antioxidant protection for eyes than lutein
Grapes may help prevent age-related blindness
The study compared the impact of an antioxidant-rich diet on vision using mice prone to developing retinal damage in old age in much the same way as humans do. Mice either received a grape-enriched diet, a diet with added lutein, or a normal diet.
The result? Grapes proved to offer dramatic protection: the grape-enriched diet protected against oxidative damage of the retina and prevented blindness in those mice consuming grapes. While lutein was also effective, grapes were found to offer significantly more protection.
“The protective effect of the grapes in this study was remarkable, offering a benefit for vision at old age even if grapes were consumed only at young age,” said principal investigator Silvia Finnemann, PhD, Department of Biological Sciences, Fordham University in New York.
Dr. Finnemann noted that results from her study also suggest that age-related vision loss is a result of cumulative, oxidative damage over time. “A lifelong diet enriched in natural antioxidants, such as those in grapes, appears to be directly beneficial for retinal health and function.”
AMD is a progressive eye condition, leading to the deterioration of the center of the retina, called the macula. It is the leading cause of blindness in the elderly. Oxidative damage and oxidative stress are thought to play a pivotal role in the development of AMD.
“Preserving eye health is a key concern as we age and this study shows that grapes may play a critical role in achieving this,” said Kathleen Nave, president of the California Table Grape Commission. “This is good news for consumers of all ages who enjoy grapes, and adds to the growing body of evidence that grapes offer an array of health benefits.”
The California Table Grape Commission was created by the California legislature in 1967 to increase worldwide demand for fresh California grapes through a variety of research and promotional programs.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-16 Primeur's Fruit Attraction exhibition edition
- 2019-10-16 Driscoll’s joins Ceres-WWF AgWater Challenge
- 2019-10-16 Duda Farm Fresh Foods announces Oxnard facility expansion
- 2019-10-16 Sarnia Produce expanding to meet healthy eating demand
- 2019-10-16 McCain Foods USA celebrates official start of major expansion in Othello, Washington
- 2019-10-16 Alibaba Chairman Daniel Zhang focuses on his successes
- 2019-10-16 Sofruce-Maria partners with the Moroccan association GIE Ajida
- 2019-10-16 Dynasty Farms joins iTradeNetwork food blockchain
- 2019-10-16 Lidl is conquering Spain
- 2019-10-15 "For the 2019/2020 campaign we expect to exceed 500 million kilos"
- 2019-10-15 California salad grower hires Jennifer Osborne as new Director of Sales
- 2019-10-15 Italy: Partnership produces light, modern and economical covers and structures
- 2019-10-15 D’Arrigo California welcomes new talent to sales and marketing departments
- 2019-10-15 Metro wants to use proceeds from sale of the China business for acquisitions
- 2019-10-15 Good attendance at Synergy Systems Open Day
- 2019-10-14 "We'll be running on hydrogen in ten years"
- 2019-10-14 Bonduelle launches first frozen vegetable production plant in Russia
- 2019-10-14 Sunkist grows fresh fruit sales team
- 2019-10-14 Honghui Fruit and Vegetables invests 280 million yuan in Malaysian tropical fruit orchard
- 2019-10-14 Acquisition formalities complete as Jupiter Group EU B.V. is born