At the 42nd General Assembly of the Association of Organizations of Fruit and Vegetable Producers, COEXPHAL, held in an event with more than 150 guests, including presidents and managers of associated marketers and representatives of institutions, the auxiliary industry, distributors and media communication, the presidency of the association has been renewed. Manuel Galdeano, president since November 14, 2008, has handed over the baton to José Antonio González Real, current president of Vicasol, who from now on will be the maximum representative of the Association. His main task is to defend, support and promote the fruit and vegetable sector.
Manuel Galdeano has received a distinction from COEXPHAL in gratitude for his dedication, involvement and commitment in the defense of the interests of the fruit and vegetable sector during his time as president of this Association. For his part, Juan Antonio González Real also wished to thank his predecessor for the magnificent work he has carried out in the last eleven years at the helm of COEXPHAL, and said that he takes over the presidency with “great enthusiasm, aiming to continue a job well done in supporting the producers and the fruit and vegetable sector of Almeria.”
In addition to the presidency, other positions have also been renewed. The new COEXPHAL Board of Directors is formed by the following members:
- President: Juan Antonio González Real (Vicasol, S.C.A.)
- Vice-president: Francisco Martín Galdeano (Cabasc, S.C.A.)
- Treasurer: Representative of Acrena, S.A.T.
- Secretary: Representative of Cohorsan, S.C.A.
- Representative of Agroponiente Natural Produce, S.A.
- Representative of Casur, S.C.A.
- Representative of Casi, S.C.A.
- Representative of Biosabor, S.A.T.
- Representative of Inver, S.A.T.
- Representative of Nature Choice, S.A.T.
- Representative of Hortamar, S.C.A.
- Representative of Costa de Níjar, S.A.T.
- Representative of Ejidomar, S.C.A.
- Representative of Vicasol, S.C.A.
- Representative of Ferva, S.A.T.
- Representative of Las Hortichuelas, S.A.T.
- Representative of Murgiverde, S.C.A.
- Representative of Agrupapulpí, S.A.
2018-2019 campaign balance
The meeting also served to present the data for the 2018/19 campaign, which came to a close unexpectedly due to poor spring results. Melon and watermelon prices and revenues have fallen by more than 30% on average. This drop can be attributed, in part, to the increase in the production (12% in the case of watermelons and almost 50% in that of melons) and to the lower demand caused by the low temperatures in Europe until well into spring. Taking all vegetables into account, the result is acceptable. The 3% fall of prices is offset by the 6% growth in the production. As a result, revenues generated by the sector grew by 3%.