Out of the many tomato varieties in the world, the most popular and appreciated are the following:
- Cherry: The small tomato of summer salads. It has a diameter that usually does not exceed 3 centimeters and weighs about 15 grams. It is characterized by its slightly sour taste.
- Beefsteak: It is large and widely used for salads because it has a thin skin and is very fleshy and tasty.
- Kumato: It has a color that ranges from dark red to golden and a peculiar sweet and intense flavor. It is the result of research and hybridization of different tomato varieties.
- Marglobe: The plant is very tall, often exceeding one and a half meters, and tomatoes reach a weight of 200 grams. They are rounded, smooth and bright red. The skin is thin and the flesh is juicy. It is ideal for making gazpacho .
- Meltine: It is large, round and fleshy. It stands out because it resists waters with high salt concentration.
- Monserrat: It is characterized by the fact that it barely has pulp or seeds. Also because the fruits have a large size and have a crushed shape. It has a sweet taste.
- Moruno: It is sweet, but has the right touch of sourness. It is highly appreciated because it is very fleshy and juicy and has thin skin and few seeds.
- Muchamiel: It is a typical variety of the Alicante area, although its cultivation is being abandoned. Its flavor is mild and its texture very pleasant.
- RAF: They are sweet, tasty and fleshy, and greenish in color. They are highly appreciated for raw consumption. The name refers to its resistance to the Fusarium fungus. It grows best under high water salinity conditions.
- Plum: It is the best tomato for frying and the most suitable for canning and grating. It is used to make gazpacho and salmorejo. It is recognized for its small size (between 100 and 150 grams) and for having few seeds and a fleshy and firm pulp. It is a late tomato.
- Sonatine: Early variety with round fruits that have a good resistance to low temperatures and short days.
- Vergel: Originally from the Canary Islands. It is smooth, with homogeneous sizes and a great quality.