Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

French customs to do a Brexit test run

Delays, elections, and even, in theory, an agreement - nothing is impossible when it comes to Brexit. Amidst all this Brexit chaos, there is, however, also good news for carriers operating in the UK.

The European Commission has suggested extending the road transport emergency regulation to 31 July 2020. If there is no deal, this regulation contains rules that will come into effect as soon as the United Kingdom leaves the European Union. The current law is valid until 21 December 2019.

The emergency regulation stipulates, among other things, that EU carriers can continue using the current Euro license in the UK. A CEMT license is, therefore, unnecessary. This emergency regulation also provides the opportunity for EU carriers in the UK to continue to cabotage under the current EU rules pf play.

‘Slow going with registrations’
Deal or No Deal, Post-Brexit, pre-submitting of customs documents at all ferry terminals and most short-sea terminals will be mandatory. This will have to be done via Portbase. Without this prior notice, the carriers will not get access to the terminal. They will be referred to a so-called 'overflow parking bays'.

However, registrations are said to be lagging. Only 70% of the volume between the Netherlands and the United Kingdom is currently registered. The remaining 30% has not yet been registered or is being declared by a middleman.

By definition, the person giving the advanced notice must register with Portbase. This person does not necessarily have to be the same one handling the customs declaration. Carriers are advised to always register. They can then see for themselves which documents have to be handed in prior to arrival (click here for more information).

Overflow parking bays
At the Dutch port of Hoek van Holland, the overflow parking bays are ready for use. However, there is a problem in Vlaardingen, another port in the Netherlands. There is not enough space here for overflow parking bays. The Rotterdam Security Region and all involved partners are actively trying to find a solution.

Inspection points needed
Inspection points are needed for the transport of live animals and veterinarian goods. After all, if the UK leaves the EU, the Netherlands will become an outer border. These animals and goods will have to be inspected immediately upon arrival. Inspection points must comply with EU legislation. Brussels must give permission to set up these inspection points. There are currently five routes planned for this in the Rotterdam region. There will be three inspection points on the northern bank and two on the southern bank.

There is currently no live animal inspection point. There are, however, discussions being held with parties that might be interested to realize these facilities.

France is going to do a test run
The French customs authorities will do test runs for the looming Brexit. These will be done from mid-September to mid-October. These tests aim to see if French customs are ready for Brexit. Whether there be a deal or not. "During this test run, we will treat the United Kingdom as if it were South Africa. Only closer," says the French Minister of Foreign Affairs. French customs officials do not anticipate long queues during the test run. They have, however, stated that drivers should nevertheless take delays into account.

During the test run, the French will be trying out their so-called 'smart' border. Transportation documents have to be filled in online. They must then be filed with French customs, also online. All this must be done ahead of time. Once in France, the trucks will either be sent through or physically inspected.

French authorities emphasize the importance of companies adapting their information and systems to the new 'smart' border. This will help drivers avoid long waiting times. This mainly relates to the online completion of import, export, and transit declarations. The drivers will then have these, along with a barcode, on hand.

The test run will take place at the Eurotunnel and all UK/French water connections. The Dutch Transport and Logistics Association, TLN,  is trying to get more information about the practical implementation of this test run.

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

© 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber