Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Turkey: Aydin exports watermelons to Germany

The Atca neighborhood in Sultanhisar, Aydin, a city located in southwestern Turkey, produces 45 thousand tons of watermelons per year. 90% of these watermelons are consumed domestically, the rest are exported mainly to Iraq and Ukraine. This year, Atca neighborhood exported watermelons to Germany as well.

Ali Polat, a producer and trader from Atca Wholesaler's Market said that they are exporting watermelons to Germany for the first time.

"Atca is one of the top producers of strawberries and watermelons in Aydin. In the wholesaler's market, watermelon is our second best-selling product followed by strawberries. Thanks to intermediaries, we've exported watermelons to Germany for the first time. We hope that the rest will follow." said Polat.

Levent Kavcin, the manager of Atca Wholesaler's Market said that the harvest of watermelons started a month ago and added: "Farmers grow 40 to 45 thousand tons of watermelons in an area of 300 hectares. Early in the season, they collect 200 tons per day, this increases up to 500 to 600 tons. We have tight control mechanisms to make sure that the product safely reaches the consumer. This year, producers are not satisfied with the prices. However, they work hard not to lose money. 90% of the product is consumed domestically and the remaining 10% is exported to Iraq, Ukraine and now to Germany as well. I hope that our exports will continue to increase."

 

Source: Hurriyet


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber