Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Spain: The sweet potato of Sanlucar de Barrameda, backed by Mercadona

The new sweet potato campaign of the Frusana cooperative, located in Sanlucar de Barrameda, will begin in August. Frusana has a total of 270 farmers who produce 24,000 tons of sweet potatoes. It devotes more than 500 hectares, of the 700 it has, to develop this tuber that has become fashionable since it's been considered a superfood.

Its demand has skyrocketed internationally. Nearly 90% of the sweet potato harvest in Sanlucar de Barrameda is exported to markets such as Germany, the United Kingdom, Holland, Denmark, or France. The remaining 10% is sent to the internal market, where it's also starting to be valued as a fresh product.

Most of the production destined for the internal demand is sold by the Mercadona supermarket chain, which distributes the sweet potato from Sanlucar de Barrameda throughout Spain via its branches.

Frusana is a supplier of Mercadona and also supplies it with white zucchini and green peppers, the latter of which are smaller than the traditional pepper (between 14 and 24 centimeters), in Andalusia. In fact, in 2018 the supermarket chain bought 2,100,000 kilos of peppers and 130,000 kilos of zucchini from the cooperative.

The commercial support for Frusana's products has led many young people of the municipality to decide to work in the countryside; as a result, the average age of the people from the cooperative is around 37 years.

 

Source: sevilla.abc.es 


Publication date:


Print   

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber