Most of the fruit is intended for export

Organic citrus production remains stable in Spain

The acreage devoted to organic farming in the Region of Valencia continues to expand every year. The current government has promoted this type of production, which has become rather fashionable. But in the citrus sector, the most important one for the region, only 3,027 hectares out of a total of 114.509 are dedicated to organic production.

That is to say, only 37.8 percent of the Region of Valencia's organic acreage is taken by citrus fruits.

This has been revealed in the data from the annual report on Organic Production in the Region of Valencia, presented a few days ago by the president of the Committee for Organic Agriculture of the Region of Valencia José Antonio Rico, who highlighted the huge growth that this sector has been recording in recent years. To be precise, this type of production already generates a turnover of 452 million Euro.

Also, the number of operators in this sector increased by 11.2 percent in the past year, and by 29 percent between 2015 and 2018. This is the largest increase of any Spanish autonomous region. The number of producers grew by 8.8 percent last year, with the majority being women and young people, said Rico.

However, the pending issue is managing to boost consumption. 85% of the Region's organic production is exported to other European countries, while the remaining 15% stays in Spain and a small part is consumed in the region. In any case, sales are increasing year after year, Rico said.
 
 Source: larazon.es


Publication date:


Print   

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber