Mexico contributes 2.2% of the world banana volume

The banana (Musa paradisiaca) is one of the most consumed fruits in the world, due to its low price and because it is considered a nutritious fruit; in some countries it even is an essential part of the population's daily diet.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, more than 130 countries grow bananas and production volume stands at 125.3 million tons. India is the leading producer with 30.4 million tons in 2017, which accounts for 24.3% of the total production.

During 2016, Mexico exported one out of every five tons of bananas it produced. World exports amounted to just over 21.9 million tons, while Mexico exported 21.1% of its production for 195.8 million dollars. According to the Agricultural Food and Fisheries Information Service (SIAP), in 2017 per capita consumption in Mexico stood at 15.7 kg, and there was a positive trade balance of 195.5 million dollars.

Mexico produced 2,229,519 tons of bananas, i.e. 2.2% of the world volume, which makes it the 12th biggest producer in the world. The highest production is found in the south-southeast region of the country, which has the appropriate geographical conditions to produce this crop, as it has loamy, clayey, alluvial, aerated, and drained textures soils, with a pH that ranges from 6.0 to 7.5, which is suitable for this production.

The United States continues to be the main market, with a 70.1% share (SIAP 2017), followed by the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Spain and Japan, which account for 20.1% of exports, so all together these destination account for 90.2% of the country's banana exports.

In 2017, the state of Colima ranked as the fourth biggest producer of bananas in the country. The state has 6,027 hectares devoted to this crop, distributed in five municipalities, and it produces 178,487 tons of bananas, which accounts for 8% of the national production.

Source: eleconomista.com.mx


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber