Production volume smaller than last year

China: Wuxi strawberries enter the market

This year's harvest of strawberries from Wuxi have finally hit the market. Many seedlings did not make it this year, because the temperature was relatively high when they were planted. This also reduced the number of fruit-bearing plants. The production volume is therefore smaller than last year. The price remained in a "high position" for a longer period than it did last year. Now that the temperature is falling, the production volume is looking healthier and  prices are falling. The current retail price is a bit more than 10 yuan [1.50 USD] per 0.5 kg.

People in the industry explain that Wuxi mainly cultivates Zhangji and Hongyan strawberries. The flavor of Zhangji is not bad, but its skin is thin and the fruit is therefore easily damaged. It does not travel well. Farmers have therefore reduced the surface area devoted to Zhangji strawberries. This variety only accounts for 10% of the strawberries on the market in Wuxi. The other 90% consists of Hongyan strawberries.

The price was more stable last year. When the strawberries entered the market the price reached more than 50 yuan [7.27 USD] per 0.5 kg, but fell to 20 yuan [2.91 USD] per 0.5 kg in a couple days and stayed there for a long time. This year the initial price was also around 50 yuan, but stayed there for longer than last year. Only now that the supply volume is growing does the price drop to similar levels as last year. However, if the weather improves after a few rainy days, then the price might slightly increase again.

Source: Jiangnan Evening News


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber