Avocados in recovery

Italy: Temporary glut of pineapples

The Italfrutta Distribuzioni company is active in Milan. The administrator Sandro Todaro and the marketing manager Umberto Musso report: “In Milan, we are a landmark for imported produce. Of course, we are not the only ones, but we are one of the most active companies in the marketing of exotic fruits – especially bananas and pineapples.

Italfrutta Distribuzioni's stand

“Since the beginning, we have been mainly importing exotic fruit from Costa Rica – and also from other Central and Southern American countries. However, we also deal with local and Italian produce. We follow the natural progression of seasons. We work with premium produce, also. This year, we were the first who had early Sicilian apricots available. In these last days, we are also the first to offer the Sicilian Tarocco”.

Italfrutta Distribuzioni ships 700/800 tons of goods, sometimes even 1.000 tons, “even though there was a slight drop during August”. The company markets 90% of its produce in Italy and the remaining 10% is marketed abroad: Germany, Switzerland, Serbia and Croatia.

Sandro Todaro and Umberto Musso

Todaro and Musso try to promote the social aspect of their work, “Through the non-profit association 'Il Gabbiano' which treats people with drug addiction, we started the apple campaign in Valtellina. We strongly believe that we can do business while keeping in mind all that people left behind. The project has been carried out by one of our collaborators, Simone Musso. He supervises some seasonal produce and the exotics”.

Umberto and Simone Musso participating in the 'Il Gabbiano' association project

Musso: “Our produce is farmed using an integrated farming method. We guarantee full traceability”.

The Hass avocado has been recovering in these last few weeks. At the moment, the prices are around 12 euros per box (4 kg).

It was not a good year for the pineapple. The prices are 20/30 cents lower. This because of the overabundance caused by the double supply which in theory should have fixed the produce shortage caused by a strike in Costa Rica.

The marketing manager: “Unfortunately, the Christmas period is not helping the sales. We think that something is going to change towards the end of November. The times when the sector was ready one month in advance are long gone. Anyway, the fruit consumption trend is increasing, which is good”.

The manager: “In the near future, we are going to reinforce our growing network, with a focus on overseas and Italian niche produce”.

Info:
Italfrutta Distribuzioni Srl
Via Cesare Lombroso, 54  
20137 - Milano - MI
Tel.:+39 02 54.55.888 
Fax: +39 02 87.15.22.49
Email: info@italfruttadistribuzioni.it
Web: www.italfruttadistribuzioni.it


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber