- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
- Sales & Product Development Coordinator - Thornlands (QLD) Australia
- Sales Person
Top 5 -yesterday
- GLOBAL OVERVIEW MANGOES
- “By investing in the farm, we have more control of how things are done"
- "Having introduced the conventional bananas now in Sweden we are looking to introduce our brand into Europe”
- The popularity of a unique exotic fruit set to soar in Australia in coming seasons
- PolyNatural is moving to US to be close with clients from the apple and pear organic market
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
UK: Demand for dried mushrooms increasing faster than for exotic
"One of the things which will be very interesting to see this year is whether the British public will follow the American trend of replacing the beef burgers with mushroom burgers. They say "the trend is to blend" and it has taken off and become quite popular over there. In the UK there is a move towards less meat consumption in general, so I wonder if in the new year we will actually see more mushrooms replacing meat than we would historically, it could open up a whole new trend."
People traditionally eat more mushrooms on Christmas Day, it is a traditional breakfast and people expect them to be on the plate.
"I think next year we will see potentially more demand around more opportunities to eat mushrooms, such as by them replacing meat etc. so it should be quite interesting. There is already some promotion going on to encourage people to eat more mushrooms, it is still in the very early stages."
James goes on to say that when people realise that mushrooms are a very healthy option, they need to know how to incorporate them into their meals. This is not something the industry has come to terms with yet, but he is sure it will come in time as there is definitely an opportunity there.
A typical increase at Christmas would be 10-20%, but this is dependent on which day it falls," explains James. This year it is on a Monday so the week leading up is going to be incredibly busy.
"We don't do a lot of speciality mushrooms, but we do have our own brand of dried mushrooms: Found! which has been selling very well. We have looked at research and globally it is exotic mushrooms which are seeing growth, but here in the UK it is only 1%. We have found a bigger demand for dried mushroom, as these can be kept in the cupboard to be used whenever needed and won't go bad after a couple of days. We have seen a steady increase in demand for this product. In the range we have dried porcini, and a dried wild mix.
"People are interested in these mushrooms", but don't necessarily want to buy them fresh because not everyone knows what to do with them. With the Found! dried mushrooms there are recipes on the packing, plus if you only use half the bag you can store them till the next day.
G’s Fresh Mushrooms
Tdl: +44 1353 726873
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-17 Maharashtra: Erratic weather expected to reduce tomato, onion and potato yields
- 2022-01-17 "If you want to make a true difference, you have to take the time to show how great chicory is"
- 2022-01-17 "We are not going to allow a single industrial tomato contract to be signed below € 105 per ton"
- 2022-01-17 "Excessive speculation with garlic causes unnecessary market disruptions"
- 2022-01-17 "Import volume of Egyptian organic pumpkins can be expected to increase by 400 tons"
- 2022-01-17 "Chinese garlic price likely to remain stable in the near future, but Spanish garlic has a huge impact on Chinese garlic export"
- 2022-01-17 AUSVEG CEO raises key issues affecting vegetable and potato growers
- 2022-01-17 "The consumption of sweet corn has evolved in recent decades and every year it rises in all countries"
- 2022-01-14 "Dithmarschen offers optimal conditions for summer broccoli and cauliflower cultivation"
- 2022-01-14 Young Guyanese to tap into multi-billion-dollar vegetable market
- 2022-01-14 "No more winter peaks or summer dips"
- 2022-01-14 Grower-shipper expands Caborca, Mexico asparagus deal
- 2022-01-14 US: Retail prices for collard greens fall during holiday seasons even as demand rises
- 2022-01-14 Russian Federation allows tomato & pepper imports from 10 Uzbek companies
- 2022-01-14 Georgia imported record volume of tomatoes in December 2021
- 2022-01-14 New project aims for more pest-resilient food options in Bangladesh and the Philippines
- 2022-01-14 Value of Irish horticulture exports up by 14% in 2021
- 2022-01-14 Green zucchini prices on the up after the holidays, bell pepper prices stable
- 2022-01-14 "Spanish green beans are currently fetching good prices"
- 2022-01-14 Microgreens: the future of agriculture?