- Offre d’emploi de Responsable Commercial Senior Sales Manager
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
Top 5 -yesterday
- “More than 7,000 cherry containers are coming to Hong Kong port; slow custom clearance is a problem”
- Vertically integrated berry producer launches in Ontario
- Giant capsicums appearing in Australian supermarkets
- How did cherry trees in North Okanagan weather the recent freeze?
- "Sweet potato demand bound to rise"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Increasing demand from Russia for Kenyan avocados
Saipei Foods from Kenya currently send around 100 containers per year into Europe.
"Our season is from week 14 to week 36 and we grow both the Fuerte and Hass avocados," explains Wycliffe Musili from Saipei. "We send our Hass avocados to France, Holland and Spain and last year we were able to send our Fuerte avocados to Russia as there seems to be an increasing demand from there too."
He says that production in Kenya is increasing quickly and farmers who traditionally would grow coffee or tea are now growing avocados due to the high prices. The regional and local governments are contacting farmers to educate them on avocado growing and on forming cooperatives to deal directly with the buyers.
"We are an exporting company with our own farm and we are GlobalGap certified, if we don't have enough of our own production we get avocados from other growers to fill the orders."
According to Wycliffe there is no shortage of trees or seedlings, and there are a lot of people who are growing avocado trees.
"We will increase our Hass production as you have to give the market what they want, and in Europe it is only Hass," said Wycliffe.
Challenges facing the Kenya growers include getting the farmers to understand how to handle avocados and how to harvest properly, and also how to maintain the cool chain throughout the process to ensure good quality when it gets to market, it is also a challenge to prevent people from harvesting early, according to Wycliffe.
for more information:
Tel: +254 723 416457
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-11-05 Australian farmers destroy avocados amid record harvests and plummeting prices
- 2021-11-04 California’s avocado harvest close to projection
- 2021-11-03 'Mexican avocado crossings through Texas expected to remain about the same'
- 2021-11-02 Ups and downs in expanding opportunities for Brazilian avocados
- 2021-10-28 "Record Israeli Greenskin and Hass avocado production thanks to on year and good weather"
- 2021-10-27 Peru's avocado production soared in August
- 2021-10-26 Ubora Orchards announces launch of organically grown Kenyan avocados
- 2021-10-25 Kakuzi trailblazing on avocado exports from Kenya
- 2021-10-22 Australian avocado consumption predicted to rise to meet an increase in domestic production
- 2021-10-21 SA farmer revived avocado trees by introducing mycorrhizae fungi to the soil
- 2021-10-20 The Chilean Avocado Committee forecasts production will increase by 57% this season
- 2021-10-19 Mexico avocado production for 2021/22 forecasted 8 percent lower than previous marketing year
- 2021-10-18 "We are the first in the world to get avocado plants grafted on clonal rootstocks from in vitro culture"
- 2021-10-15 “Due to the market conditions in Australia, we will send a great volume to our customers in Asia and the Pacific Islands"
- 2021-10-15 Good prospects for avocado exports Zimbabwe
- 2021-10-14 ‘Perfect storm’ drives Australian avocado prices down to $1
- 2021-10-11 FreshPlaza October Special on Avocados
- 2020-09-30 Delroy Orchards research delivers 'damage-free' avocados
- 2020-09-29 Holiday avocado sales spring up to new heights
- 2020-09-28 Coophuelva diversifies its production with the introduction of Hass avocados