- Looking for an opportunity in India
- Procurement & Sales Manager, Potato Division - Lobinstown, Co. Meath, Ireland
- European regional agent and new sales manager
- Head Grower - Owatonna (Minnesota) USA
- Teeltspecialist (Proeftuin & Veredeling) - Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands
- Farm Manager - Riana, Tasmania, Australia
- Industry Development Manager - Rocklea, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Farm manager / Senior grower seeking for his next role
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Not just a pretty face
Young Dominican Republic entrepreneurs convert sugar cane land to pineapples
CaraLinda is the name of their family farm and Kisha and her brother started converting pasture land into pineapple two years ago by importing MD-2 pineapple slips from Costa Rica. They now have 125 hectares of pineapple and are exporting to the rest of the Caribbean, the US, Europe, and soon to Israel. They’ve also trademarked their pineapples with the Caralinda brand.
They are bullish on being able to market their pineapples as a premium product because they are sweeter as a result of the favorable sunlight regime and fertile soils of their area of the Dominican Republic. They are also able to guarantee this sweetness arrives at their final destination because of the large number of direct flights to Europe during the winter tourism season. They also have the advantage of shorter maritime routes to Europe compared to Central and South America.
Kisha Rodriquez and her brother are members of a recently formed Monte Plata Pineapple Producers Association composed of similar young professionals who are convinced that by working together they can develop a pineapple export industry with a year around supply of consistent quality and quantity.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture funded Exporting Quality Program is helping exporters such as Kisha certify their production as GlobalG.A.P. as well as upgrade their branding to market their pineapples in premium markets. The Program is also helping the Monte Plata Pineapple Producers Association strengthen their service delivery capacity to their members.
For more information:
Caralinda Agroindustrial S.R.L.
Tel: +1 829 986 8488
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-04-06 Greece and Covid-19 are making it more difficult for the Italian kiwi fruit
- 2020-04-06 Fresh bok choy from Shandong entered the Chinese market in large volumes
- 2020-04-06 "Malaysian durian processing factories temporarily halt operations"
- 2020-04-06 South Africa: Prickly pears suddenly a hot item
- 2020-04-03 Jingold yellow kiwi: harvest about to start in Chile
- 2020-04-03 Guardiola medlar variety recognized as community plant variety
- 2020-04-03 " Hainan dragon fruit production season delayed, but peak retail season has now arrived"
- 2020-04-03 “Demand for kiwis is huge from all over the world”
- 2020-04-03 Indonesian president promises garlic prices will go down next week
- 2020-04-02 "Chinese durian market suffers from temporary pause in Malaysian durian production"
- 2020-04-02 China: Importing first batch of New Zealand kiwifruit in 2020
- 2020-04-02 Kiwifruit harvest going well in Gisbourne
- 2020-04-01 California kiwifruit season extends into April
- 2020-03-31 Avo retail trade very good; wholesale markets devastated by restaurant closures
- 2020-03-30 "Delivery of Hainan wax apples proceeds smoothly as the market recovers"
- 2020-03-27 "Heartwarming reactions to private sales of exotic packages"
- 2020-03-26 Arils developing as an option for foodservice
- 2020-03-25 “I believe the virus will not affect the cherry season as much”
- 2020-03-24 "We temporarily stopped kiwi fruit export in favor of domestic sales in the Chinese market"
- 2020-03-24 Conditions in Chinese durian market are difficult to predict