- Greenhouse Plug Propagator - Dunnville (Ontario) Canada
- Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
- Sales Manager
- Senior Grower Tomato, NSW Australia
- Grower Managers (5ha or 10ha) - Australia
- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- Sales Manager
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
Top 5 -yesterday
- Blueberries see stronger availability for 2019-2020 imports
- Last year it was cucumbers, is there a different Spanish 'crisis crop' this year?
- Clementines: “A complicated situation in the orchards”
- "It is everyone’s responsibility to accurately show how many hectares have been planted and where to forecast the future volumes"
- Mango import program from Australia expands
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Ontario growers seek support after losses from floods
“This is the second year in a row” of volatile weather, said president Keith Currie. “The areas most hit with drought last year are getting hardest hit with rain this year.”
The back-to-back bad conditions have prompted PC MPP Jim Wilson to call on the government to provide additional aid to farmers. He toured affected properties in his Simcoe-Grey, riding with staff from the agriculture minister’s office, but said he was “very, very disappointed” to hear that no new funds are forthcoming, especially when about one-third of farmers have no crop insurance.
North of Toronto, Beeton farmers Barry and Bonnie Dorsey lost hundreds of acres after a torrential storm in late June, estimating $2.5 million in damages to crops including potatoes, onions and carrots.
The government says it is “too soon to determine the full impact this year’s unpredictable weather will have on crops across the province” and Agriculture Minister Jeff Leal plans to continue to keep a close eye on the situation.
Read more at thestar.com
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-11-12 Snowfall Kashmir – prices of essentials go up
- 2019-11-12 Spanish imports of fruit and veg from EU grew 22% in value from Jan to August
- 2019-11-11 Last year it was cucumbers, is there a different Spanish 'crisis crop' this year?
- 2019-11-11 Philippines wants to expand agri export to US
- 2019-11-11 Pakistan’s post-harvest crop losses cost over $1bn each year
- 2019-11-11 New strategic partnership set to increase sales opportunities for Western Australian indigenous company
- 2019-11-11 "Chinese and Turkish enterprises sign cooperation agreements"
- 2019-11-08 Philippines farm output rises in Q3, but farmer profits drop
- 2019-11-08 Malaysia: 8,257 ha of land is suitable for agriculture
- 2019-11-07 Jordanian agriculture sector sees 63% growth in 2019
- 2019-11-07 Turkey's food exports to China increase by 86% in first 10 months
- 2019-11-07 Malaysia: State of Sabah aims to double agri numbers
- 2019-11-07 'Quality of native iceberg lettuce went down and inflow was limited'
- 2019-11-07 Recent typhoons decimated Japanese farms
- 2019-11-07 Tanzania is investing in tomato value chain
- 2019-11-07 Mercamurcia achieves 25% increase in fruit and vegetable sales
- 2019-11-07 Eggplants at risk, better zucchini and peppers, grapes fail to take off
- 2019-11-06 Irish farmers warn of crops rotting in the field
- 2019-11-06 Mexico strengthens its trade with China
- 2019-11-06 German program supports Ecuadorian exports to Europe