- Product Manager - United States
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager
- Aweta Sales Director Italy and Spain
- Junior Account Manager - Central Europe
- Post-Harvest Quality Manager - Avocado
- Senior Technical Lead - Beamsville (ON) Canada
- General Manager - Buswa, Uganda
- Head Grower - Jordan (ON) Canada
- KAM DE/AT/IT/BE/NL - Valencia, Spain
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Uflex successfully tests Flexfresh™ liner bags for Papaya
One of the major Tropical Fruits is Papaya with exceptional nutritional benefits to the consumer. It is rich in Carotenes, Vitamin C, Antioxidants, Flavonoids and several other minerals. It lowers Cholesterol, helps in Weight Loss, Boosts Immunity amongst several other health benefits.
More than 50% of the world’s Papaya is produced in Asia, followed by South America with around 20% of the production. USA is the largest importer of Papaya from South America with import volumes of around 200,000 Tons annually. India is the largest producer of Papaya in the world with almost 40% papaya produced, with a very high domestic consumption of the fruit.
Perfotec and Uflex have been working with Fresh Produce growers to maximize Shelf life using Active Modified Atmosphere Packaging (AMAP) solution. The solutions deliver the best quality produce to the markets with possibility of moving away from Air shipments and switching to Sea Shipments there by improving availability and also ensuring continuity in the supply chain making the product affordable for the consumers by cutting on expensive Air Freight simultaneously reducing the wastage.
Perfotec and Uflex jointly performed trials in India as well as Holland with Leading Growers and Importers to determine the possible Shelf life extension solution for Papaya.
Fast Respiration Meter from Perfotec was used to determine the Rate of Respiration under the Supply Chain temperature of 10° C and the transmission determined to maintain ideal Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide inside the liner bags to maintain Freshness and extend Shelf life.
“Trials were conducted with 60*40 Flexfresh™ Liner Bags in open top corrugated boxes. Product was packed in semi ripe condition in warm condition in the liner bags and were hermetically closed and moved to the Cold Store. By using Flexfresh™ Liner Bags the product remains dry and registers a very low weight loss, due to the hydrated environment inside the bag. Flexfresh™ does not allow condensation due to its unique proprietary formulation giving a major relief to exporters against Bacterial and Fungal infections. With the Biodegradability of the Liner Bag, it is a perfect sustainable solution,” explained N. Siva Shankaran Vice President - Flexfresh™ at Uflex.
Explaining the results, Mr. Ashok Chaturvedi, Chairman and Managing Director, Uflex Ltd., said that the major benefit of using the Flexfresh™ Liner bags is the possibility of having an elevated Carbon Dioxide level which prevented yellowing of the fruit and maintained firmness to the fruit quality. He added that growers could attain a shelf life of 30 Days for Papaya using the Flexfresh™ Liner Bags.
Terming this as an important milestone in Shelf Life extension and market accessibility Mr. Bas Groeneweg, Director, Perfotec BV informed that with the health benefits of Papaya, Flexfresh™ Liner Bags will deliver good quality fruit around the year. With major health benefits of Papaya, we should see more imports in to Europe he added.
Perfotec and Uflex have been building a strong distribution network across the world to cater to the needs of Flexfresh™ across Fresh Produce growing regions.
Visit Uflex and Perfotec at Asia Fruit Logistica, Hong Kong; 7-9 Sep 2016;
Hall 3, Stall T-39
For more information, please contact:
Mr. Rohit Sharma,
T: +91 120 4012339
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-09-20 Carrefour Spain: 50% less plastic in fruit and vegetable packaging
- 2021-09-17 Agricultural waste fibre tech company completes food packaging trial
- 2021-09-16 Smurfit Kappa will showcase everything that its Agri Experience Center can do for the sector
- 2021-09-15 Lidl GB builds on plastic reduction and recycling programme
- 2021-09-15 Fruit shipper implements Material Recyclability Index
- 2021-09-15 New fruit and vegetable punnet
- 2021-09-14 "We understand that sustainability is no longer an option"
- 2021-09-14 MULTIVAC opens its doors for children
- 2021-09-14 A new 100% plastic-free paper packaging
- 2021-09-10 "We hope to help agricultural companies save on packaging costs"
- 2021-09-10 Prince de Bretagne: New recyclable tomato trays
- 2021-09-10 “I believe this is biggest innovation in mushroom packing for 50 years"
- 2021-09-10 Fresh Del Monte extends sustainable packaging gains
- 2021-09-10 Recyclable and compostable packaging for bite-size potato category
- 2021-09-09 “We noticed a need to develop innovative eco-friendly packaging”
- 2021-09-06 Ocado moves to 100% recyclable packaging material for apples
- 2021-09-06 New CPR crates
- 2021-09-03 Design of process to recycle plastics used in banana production in the Dominican Republic
- 2021-09-03 Sustainable packaging - a small gesture with a huge effect on the environment
- 2021-08-27 Smurfit Kappa announces multimillion Mexican investment