- Processing & Quality Management Director - Made, The Netherlands or Sderot/Brurim, Israel
- Aankomend Int. Export Manager jonge groenteplanten
- Director of Hydroponic Production - Madrid, Spain
- Non-Executive Directors
- Horticultural Sales Manager - Fruit Industry, Europe
- Sales Representative - New South Wales (Australia)
- Business Development Coordinator - New Zealand
- Greenhouse Production Manager - Heho (Shan State) Myanmar
- Account Manager Benelux
- Inkoop Specialist AGF - Bleiswijk
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Gambia: Call for fruit and vegetable factory investors intensifies
It is estimated that up to 10% of the value of fresh fruits and vegetables is lost in the process of marketing (Fatajo, Hydara and Jabang).
One of Africa’s main challenges particularly in The Gambia is the processing and the preservation of fruits they sell very little fresh from the harvest and tonnes goes to waste.
Economic liberalization and institutional reform has reduced and redefined the roll of the state in agricultural service provision and the challenge is ownership by emerging private sectors.
The indigenous sectors, however, are reluctant to risk investment even in standardized processing of fruits more so vegetables, due to belief that the local market and consumers could discard their produce and go for the imported processed products.
Fruit and vegetable farmers, the majority of whom are women, could however be encouraged to boost production through the provision of a mechanism that can quickly buy and adequately pay for their produce thereby encouraging them to produce more, and in turn buyers, to either process and preserve it for local and international markets.
Click here for the full story
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-06-13 Credit insurers: “Keep payment terms as short as possible”
- 2019-06-13 USDA restricts PACA violators in California and New York from operating in produce industry
- 2019-06-13 New 'Place to Grow' program to boost industry competitiveness and innovation
- 2019-06-13 Mexican Tomato Growers respond to U.S. Commerce Department's latest proposal on Imports
- 2019-06-12 India puts restrictions on import of peas
- 2019-06-12 Quick working capital a gap in the market
- 2019-06-10 ICCA announces officers for 2019-2020
- 2019-06-10 Another 1.5 million Euro allocated by Bulgarian government to organic sector
- 2019-06-10 Vietnam: Agriculture exports to China slacken as conditions tighten
- 2019-06-10 Border Trade Alliance happy with suspension of tariffs against Mexico
- 2019-06-07 South Africa: Economic contraction a serious threat
- 2019-06-06 US will delay additional tariffs on some Chinese products until June 15th, 2019
- 2019-06-06 Royal seal of approval for versatile watercress
- 2019-06-05 USDA announces $10 million in grants available for the specialty crop multi-state program
- 2019-06-05 Good post-harvest hygiene essential to limit fruit fly
- 2019-06-04 Spanish region of Extremadura needs foreign labor for fruit picking
- 2019-06-04 "Due to political tensions between the US and Mexico, Mexican exporters are focusing more on Europe"
- 2019-06-03 USDA restricts PACA violators in five states from operating in produce industry
- 2019-06-03 Employee Share Ownership (ESO) schemes are key to true broad-based empowerment
- 2019-06-03 Auchan stores for sale: Employees prepare to demonstrate