- Operations Manager - Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
- Night-Shift Crop Inspector - San Jose (CA) USA
- Product Coördinator Fresh produce - Ridderkerk, Dinteloord of Heerle
- Medewerker Marketing & Communicatie - Hillegom
- Supply Chain Specialist - Nairobi, Kenya
- Assistant breeder
- Greenhouse Director of Production - Center Moriches (NY) USA
- Head Grower Cannabis - Reading, Southern England
- Global Product Manager - Northeast Ohio area
- Produce Sales Representative - Remote/Surrounding Los Angeles area
Top 5 -yesterday
- GLOBAL OVERVIEW BERRIES
- “Bottlenecks are here to stay for a long while, probably at a lesser extent, once the effects of the covid-rebound are over”
- Hydroponic strawberries where sugarcane used to grow
- PEI and British Columbia put pressure on Manitoba potato supplies
- Washington apple grower digitally integrates quality inspection to improve freshness
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- 'We'd like to be importing about 200 containers of Ethiopian Hass avocados within 4 or 5 years"
- Kenyan traders are painting avocados to dupe consumers
- South Africa and Tanzania meet on avocado imports
- Avocados become entrenched in South Africans’ shopping baskets
- “By 2024, we’ll produce up to 3,000 tons of Hass avocado”
"We have trees that are over a hundred years old"
Start of seedless lychee harvest; variety endemic to Hainan Island
"Our seedless variety is not entirely new. We select from lychee seedling rootstock which we find on Hainan. The seedless lychee exists in nature, and is the result of evolution by natural selection, not breeding. On Hainan, there are wild seedless lychee tree branches that are over hundreds of years old. The flowers can grow into seedless lychee without pollination, which is known as parthenogenesis."
Compared to regular lychees, seedless lychee trees have relatively low yields. Their yield is estimated to reach around 40% of the yield of ordinary lychee trees. The fruit is listed on the market around the beginning of June, and is only available for 25 days. This year, the harvest is late due to coldness in early and late Spring. Most seedless lychees grow in pairs. They have a thin skin and firm flesh, with a high sugar content level.
A pair of seedless lychees from Hainan Province, Southern China
"The shelf life of the lychee is only three days at room temperature. In Hainan, however, summer temperatures can go up to 38-39 degrees. In order to better preserve the quality of the fruit, the growers often pick the seedless lychees from the tree at 1-5 am, at a temperature of around 15 degrees. When the temperature of the fruit is brought down to 3 to 5 degrees, the product will be shipped out across China."
Most Hainan seedless lychees varieties come from Chengmai County. Because its located close to volcanoes, the soil is rich in selenium. This benefits the growth of vegetables and fruits.
"Our company was started in 1997. We have constructed seedless lychee plantation & demonstration base of 347 hectares in Qiaotou town, Chengmai County. In addition, we have a plant base of 133 hectare in Guangxi, and another 20 hectares in Guangdong and Fujian province. Our company picks the seedless lychees from the tree only when they are 90% ripe. After picking them up in the early morning, all the fruits are sent to a 6,000 square meters packing centre, of which over 3,000 square meters are air-conditioned."
For more information:
Ms. Zhang Li
Hainan Luqiao Agriculture & Farming Development
Telephone: +86 138 7635 5761
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-12-03 "Fewer cranberries available, December demand higher than usual"
- 2021-12-03 Prices of watermelons and chillies to rise after torrential rains
- 2021-12-03 Million dollar hail damages at Huon Valley apple orchard
- 2021-12-03 Plum growers need a normal Cape summer but the rain just keeps coming
- 2021-12-03 Argentinian greengrocers start selling the first cherries of the season
- 2021-12-03 Blueberry season up to week 47: cumulative 4,671 tons, 26% less than last season
- 2021-12-03 Brazil: Minimum price industrial grapes will be R$ 1.31 per kilo from January
- 2021-12-03 UK demand for South African apples and pears is growing
- 2021-12-03 “Consumers are increasingly interested in seedless grapes”
- 2021-12-03 "Good outlook despite difficult planting season"
- 2021-12-03 South Korean government hopes to export more premium produce
- 2021-12-03 Estimated 36.8 million tons of fruit, berries and nuts harvested in 2020 in the EU
- 2021-12-02 Kashmiri apple prices brought down
- 2021-12-02 First Arctic apple Fuji crop harvested
- 2021-12-02 Total weekly blueberry arrivals from Argentina at 6,975 tons in week 47
- 2021-12-02 Peru increased its fresh blueberry exports twelvefold in five years
- 2021-12-02 Fruit-growing business allegedly de-frauded of $1.3 million
- 2021-12-02 New grape varieties increase the competitiveness of the Northern Cape
- 2021-12-02 "Significant blueberry volumes; good current demand too"
- 2021-12-02 Abundant production will drive market prices down by 15 to 20 percent