- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
- Sales & Product Development Coordinator - Thornlands (QLD) Australia
- Sales Person
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Promising market response to dragon fruit
Dragon fruit is the fruit of a climbing cactus plant. “It is an extremely difficult crop to grow as all pollination needs to be done by hand, at night. Therefore it is doubtful if it would ever be produced in large quantities,” explained Clive Garrett of ZZ2. “The main focus of the farm is on cactus pears and avocados. At this stage there are no plans to expand production on the Dragon fruit. After the season has ended we will look at the performance and then decide what needs to be done.”
Harvesting began in December 2015, and is expected to continue until early in May 2016. Garrett says that there has been a reasonable crop this season.
“The response from the market has been very promising. It is however a niche product and is very expensive at this stage due to the limited volumes on the markets,” says Garrett. “The product is sold on the national fresh produce markets and has been sent to Johannesburg, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban so far.”
For more information:
Tel: +27 15 395 8460
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-17 "Low-priced Thai ginger takes over from Chinese ginger in Southeast Asian markets"
- 2022-01-17 "Chinese import ban on Taiwanese pineapples may not have a significant impact on the market conditions of domestic pineapples"
- 2022-01-17 Increased ginger production overseas limits the export of Chinese ginger
- 2022-01-17 Taiwan applies zero customs tariffs to 25 kinds of import products from Honduras
- 2022-01-17 Western Australian avocados smashing it in Japan
- 2022-01-17 Avocados among Mexican products with highest demand in the US
- 2022-01-17 Kenya: Vigilantes hired to combat gangs that steal avocados
- 2022-01-17 Persimmon acreage increases threefold in Fergana region of Uzbekistan
- 2022-01-14 Second avocado processing facility opened, in state-owned Yirgalem Agro-processing Park
- 2022-01-14 Evening out global avocado supplies
- 2022-01-14 "Production volume and product quality of Thai fragrant coconuts improved, but due to the pandemic, the export volume still declined"
- 2022-01-14 The Pickering: a new mango variety
- 2022-01-14 The popularity of a unique exotic fruit set to soar in Australia in coming seasons
- 2022-01-14 Ellips and Elisam launch new deep learning system at Tzur Farms
- 2022-01-14 “By investing in the farm, we have more control of how things are done"
- 2022-01-13 Palestinian establishes first dragon fruit farm in West Bank
- 2022-01-13 Collaboration with Chinese scientists can help ginger cultivation in Pakistan
- 2022-01-13 "The mango market suffered a blow, in week 1"
- 2022-01-13 Protect crops calculating every detail
- 2022-01-13 Peruvian mango exports have increased by 73% so far in this campaign