- Head Grower - USA
- Operations manager - Berlin area, Germany
- Sales Manager
- Bedrijfsleider locatie Portugal
- Key Account Manager Horticulture - Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- Commercial Manager | Cut Flowers | Kenya
- General Manager (Horticulture Farm) | Kenya
- Floral Designer - Floral Direct. Carle Place, NY (Long Island, USA)
- Tomato Breeder (H/F)
- Junior / Senior Export Manager
Top 5 -last month
Laser labels might be heading to US
Instead of using stickers, melons and other fruits now have a high-tech upgrade, sporting a sleeker look called the laser label.
“This is not a melon anymore, it’s a branded melon—a melon that has its own mark,” Stephanie Merit of Laser Food said. “You could have one on each of these melons, its own traceability number.”
Merit said labels are etched onto melons and citrus fruits using a dye that is safe.
“It’s an idea that was born of an identity crisis of sorts,” Jonathan Vigliotti of London said. “When a piece of fruit loses its sticker, you can’t trace it back to where it was grown.”
He says laser labels protect against that and stop shoppers from cheating the system. Merit says grocers frequently pass off cheap fruit as organic.
Not everyone likes the new look.
“I don’t think it’s a good idea because you don’t play around with fruit,” produce stand owner Michael Conder said. “Just stick with it; keep it normal.”
European regulators disagree. They're allowing laser fruit in France, Spain and Poland, with more countries lining up for this taste of the future.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not yet given the green light for producers in the U.S. to use the laser labels.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2015-06-30 Laser labels might be heading to US
- 2015-06-29 Crates often not clean enough after washing
- 2015-06-26 New packaging for ready-to-eat foods introduced
- 2015-06-26 rPETeCO: multi-functional packaging
- 2015-06-25 IFCO RPC system reduces material requirements, waste
- 2015-06-24 Sustainability award for innovative mushroom containers
- 2015-06-24 Anthem amplifies Zespri branding
- 2015-06-23 Edible plastic to help solve packaging waste?
- 2015-06-23 "Fruit in portion packaging easier at computer"
- 2015-06-22 New packaging tech for summer apple program
- 2015-06-22 Canada's crop analyzing machinery
- 2015-06-19 US (IL): Com-Pac to introduce gps tracker
- 2015-06-18 Productivity more than just speed
- 2015-06-17 Prolong® packaging successfully extends tomato shelf life
- 2015-06-16 Jasa Packaging Systems celebrates 30 years with demo week
- 2015-06-15 Corrugated packaging: benchmark for versatility
- 2015-06-15 NZ mushroom company first to use new compostable packaging
- 2015-06-12 New bag filling machine unveiled at Victam 2015
- 2015-06-11 Intelligent packaging growing at huge rate
- 2015-06-11 UK: Keep fruit fresh from field to factory