- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
- Sales & Product Development Coordinator - Thornlands (QLD) Australia
- Sales Person
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Special Fruit on its way to year-round Wonderful pomegranates
Wonderful is unique thanks to its lovely red colour, size, the sweet flavour and the ruby red seeds. The pomegranate contains a lot of antioxidants, is a rich source of vitamin C, and also contains vitamin K and iron. This pomegranate has a better shelf life as well. In countries like Spain, Turkey, Italy and Greece, the old pomegranate varieties are mostly grown. Cultivation is getting more and more professional in these countries though. François notes that a lot of new planting still occurs in these countries, meaning Europe will play a more significant role as a pomegranate producer in the future. “All sorts of trials are also carried out for the cultivation of Wonderful pomegranates, so the availability of this variety can be extended. Our own objective is to be able to offer Wonderful year-round.” Special Fruit sells the state-of-the-art Pom Wonderful brand. This famous producer of pomegranates is located in the San Joaquin Valley in California. In this valley of over 13,000 hectares, nearly 90 % of fresh Wonderful pomegranates grow, which the United States exports to over 55 countries. Pom Wonderful pomegranates are available until March.
Low prices thanks to large supply
Thanks to the large supply from various countries of origin, prices have reached a low level in the last months of the year. François expects this situation to be maintained until late January, when the pomegranates form countries around the Mediterranean are off the market. “After that, supplies decrease. Then, in March, the first pomegranates from overseas become available again. As always, prices for the first shipments from Peru, which are flown in, will be sky high until the first ones arrive by boat early in April.” He says that production in Peru and South Africa has grown quite a bit in recent years, while production in Chile and North America has stabilized. The most important market for Special Fruit pomegranates is Northwestern Europe, but Eastern Europe and the Baltic states have also become increasingly important in sales in recent years.
Traditionally, demand for pomegranate is very high for the holidays. François observes that particularly for the winter period, many requests are coming in. “Pomegranate is a typical Christmas product, and supermarkets emphasize this with all sorts of promotions. It’s also the most apt moment to promote the fruits, seeing how the best pomegranates of the year are available then: Pom Wonderful from America.” According to him, demand for pomegranates has increased significantly in recent years, as a result of the fruit’s positive health effects, which is seeing a lot of media attention. The pomegranates are also more available for consumers, now that many supermarkets have added the fruit to their product range year-round. “We try to actively contribute to marketing the fresh pomegranates, through in-store tastings where we give targeted product and useage information, combined with promotions.”
François de Rooij
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-17 "Low-priced Thai ginger takes over from Chinese ginger in Southeast Asian markets"
- 2022-01-17 "Chinese import ban on Taiwanese pineapples may not have a significant impact on the market conditions of domestic pineapples"
- 2022-01-17 Increased ginger production overseas limits the export of Chinese ginger
- 2022-01-17 Taiwan applies zero customs tariffs to 25 kinds of import products from Honduras
- 2022-01-17 Western Australian avocados smashing it in Japan
- 2022-01-17 Avocados among Mexican products with highest demand in the US
- 2022-01-17 Kenya: Vigilantes hired to combat gangs that steal avocados
- 2022-01-17 Persimmon acreage increases threefold in Fergana region of Uzbekistan
- 2022-01-14 Second avocado processing facility opened, in state-owned Yirgalem Agro-processing Park
- 2022-01-14 Evening out global avocado supplies
- 2022-01-14 "Production volume and product quality of Thai fragrant coconuts improved, but due to the pandemic, the export volume still declined"
- 2022-01-14 The Pickering: a new mango variety
- 2022-01-14 The popularity of a unique exotic fruit set to soar in Australia in coming seasons
- 2022-01-14 Ellips and Elisam launch new deep learning system at Tzur Farms
- 2022-01-14 “By investing in the farm, we have more control of how things are done"
- 2022-01-13 Palestinian establishes first dragon fruit farm in West Bank
- 2022-01-13 Collaboration with Chinese scientists can help ginger cultivation in Pakistan
- 2022-01-13 "The mango market suffered a blow, in week 1"
- 2022-01-13 Protect crops calculating every detail
- 2022-01-13 Peruvian mango exports have increased by 73% so far in this campaign