Top 5 -yesterday
- Canadian grower adds space to indoor strawberry farm
- Egyptian sweet potato season has become more challenging every year
- Taking a peek at the 2022-2023 Peruvian grape season
- Potato growers ask McCain Foods for 78% price increase
- "This is the first year in which we will no longer sell a single kilo of seeded grapes"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Schoeman Boerdery extends a hand to a hundred rural communities
- No workforce means that fruit remains on trees
- “Japanese market is very demanding when it comes to fruit quality”
- “Citrus from South Africa, Egypt, Morocco and Argentina are highly sought after in Baltic”
- Fate of South African oranges en route to Europe discussed at highest political levels
Three years in a row bad prices
Israel: Horticulture really tough for young growers
Yonatan Bar-On, of Arava Export Growers, explains that “the number of growers is dropping because it’s a really tough activity; many young growers who started few years ago are likely to stop because of the low prices, and only growers with larger yields and more resources can survive the bad seasons.” Some growers already changed to other crops, because they have three years in a row bad prices for the peppers.
Click here to enlarge photo
Another issue, according to Yonatan, is that cultivating peppers has become more expensive, from 3,000 to 5,000 Euro per dunam. “labor workers have seen their salaries increase due to new regulations; additionally, the cost price is of 3.50 to 4 Euro per box, and overall, depending on rates, you need 1 Euro/kilo to be able to cover the investment,” affirms Yonatan.
In Paran, around Arava Export Growers’ packing house, there are a total of around 125 farms with 625 hectares of greenhouses, 5 hectares per farm.
For more information:
V.P. Business Development & Global Sales
Arava Export Growers Ltd.
Tel : +972-3-972-8-104
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-09 Pacific Trellis Fruit expands organization
- 2022-08-09 Monterey Mushrooms welcomes sales manager
- 2022-08-09 Stord unlocks cold storage with Fresh Del Monte partnership
- 2022-08-09 Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. reports strong Q2 2022 net sales amidst unprecedented cost pressures
- 2022-08-09 Lamb Weston reports fiscal fourth quarter and full year 2022 results
- 2022-08-09 Strong local demand and new product sales contribute to improved interim results
- 2022-08-09 Kivits-Goes Handling acquires two Fresh Pack Logistics cold stores
- 2022-08-09 Bakker Brothers holds open field days in Jordan
- 2022-08-09 Hoogsteder director Frans Scholts retires
- 2022-08-09 Robert Sauer returns to his own company
- 2022-08-08 Maersk continues to grow logistics business and deliver record results
- 2022-08-08 Te Mata Exports New Zealand and Australia merge into one
- 2022-08-08 Frutura closes on Subsole acquisition
- 2022-08-08 William H. Kopke Jr. adds Rodrigo Del Sante to its global team
- 2022-08-08 Canadian CKF purchases Molded Fiber Technology
- 2022-08-08 Salix Fruits co-founder provides update on a challenging 2022
- 2022-08-08 Kiwifruit brand wins Good Housekeeping’s 2022 healthy snack award
- 2022-08-08 "Our goal is to have 1,000 hectares of avocado between Spain and Portugal"
- 2022-08-08 Lineage Logistics announces acquisition of Spanish transport and cold-store operator Grupo Fuentes
- 2022-08-08 T&G Global operating profit increased 37.6% in 1H 2022