Top 5 -yesterday
- Canadian grower adds space to indoor strawberry farm
- Egyptian sweet potato season has become more challenging every year
- Taking a peek at the 2022-2023 Peruvian grape season
- Potato growers ask McCain Foods for 78% price increase
- "This is the first year in which we will no longer sell a single kilo of seeded grapes"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Schoeman Boerdery extends a hand to a hundred rural communities
- No workforce means that fruit remains on trees
- “Japanese market is very demanding when it comes to fruit quality”
- “Citrus from South Africa, Egypt, Morocco and Argentina are highly sought after in Baltic”
- Fate of South African oranges en route to Europe discussed at highest political levels
Record sales of $1.5 billion yields record grower return
"The people of Blue Diamond have never worked harder," said Jansen. "The revenue growth and returns are evident," he added. "We continue to build our infrastructure in manufacturing and information technology to support our growth and long-term success. I am amazed how our growers overcame historic drought challenges to deliver this year's crop. In our co-op, it is both our growers and employees who make us successful."
Jansen noted future challenges, most notably, the impact of the drought. Even if California receives normal rain levels this winter, the crop is projected to be light over the next few years. "UC Davis research on water deprivation indicated that it could be three years before we see almond orchards recover," he said.
Margin enhancement projects for Blue Diamond included improved manufacturing yields and faster processing lines, resulting in a four-year compounded savings of $46 million. "Margin enhancements fuel our investments in new facilities, breakthrough advertising, and global markets," Jansen explained.
Energized by enhanced advertising investments and new products, sales thrived in North America where the branded consumer business leaped to a +$500 million brand in U.S. retail across the snack nuts, crackers and almond milk categories. Over 17 new products emerged, including a first of its kind new Honey-flavoured product line that includes Snack Nuts, Nut*Thins and Almond Breeze.
International expansion of Almond Breeze and Snack Almonds achieved 60 percent growth over the prior marketing year. Ten new international product introductions included Ketchup almonds in the United Kingdom and Banana Almond Breeze in Japan! By achieving first to market status and delivering on taste, Blue Diamond is the almond milk market leader in Japan and is working to expand its foothold in Asia and Europe.
The cooperative's newest Turlock Plant was named 2014 Plant of the Year by Food Engineering magazine, a testament to Blue Diamond's ability to leverage value-added product capabilities. The enhanced capacity in Turlock enabled the Blue Diamond Global Ingredients manufacturing business to increase 105 percent in four years.
"We are a stronger company than we were five years ago, making this the third consecutive year of returning record revenue per acre to Blue Diamond growers!" said Chairman of the Board Clinton Shick, a grower from McFarland. "We can all be proud of taking a strategic direction that continues to build strength in the Blue Diamond cooperative for generations to come."
Please visit www.bluediamond.com for more information.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-09 Pacific Trellis Fruit expands organization
- 2022-08-09 Monterey Mushrooms welcomes sales manager
- 2022-08-09 Stord unlocks cold storage with Fresh Del Monte partnership
- 2022-08-09 Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. reports strong Q2 2022 net sales amidst unprecedented cost pressures
- 2022-08-09 Lamb Weston reports fiscal fourth quarter and full year 2022 results
- 2022-08-09 Strong local demand and new product sales contribute to improved interim results
- 2022-08-09 Kivits-Goes Handling acquires two Fresh Pack Logistics cold stores
- 2022-08-09 Bakker Brothers holds open field days in Jordan
- 2022-08-09 Hoogsteder director Frans Scholts retires
- 2022-08-09 Robert Sauer returns to his own company
- 2022-08-08 Maersk continues to grow logistics business and deliver record results
- 2022-08-08 Te Mata Exports New Zealand and Australia merge into one
- 2022-08-08 Frutura closes on Subsole acquisition
- 2022-08-08 William H. Kopke Jr. adds Rodrigo Del Sante to its global team
- 2022-08-08 Canadian CKF purchases Molded Fiber Technology
- 2022-08-08 Salix Fruits co-founder provides update on a challenging 2022
- 2022-08-08 Kiwifruit brand wins Good Housekeeping’s 2022 healthy snack award
- 2022-08-08 "Our goal is to have 1,000 hectares of avocado between Spain and Portugal"
- 2022-08-08 Lineage Logistics announces acquisition of Spanish transport and cold-store operator Grupo Fuentes
- 2022-08-08 T&G Global operating profit increased 37.6% in 1H 2022