- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
North America’s organic market growing
The United States has experienced an organic acreage and production increase over the last five years; however it has not kept pace with the increase in demands. According to the 2012 Census of Agriculture, the United States had over 2 million farms in 2012 equalling 914 million acres.
Although organic farms accounted for less than 1% of all national farms and sales within the United States in 2012, in terms of market penetration, the farm value of the fruit sector accounted for over 3% of the total U.S. fruit sector and the organic vegetable sector comprised 7% of the total share within the country. “Big commodity crops like soy, corn, and wheat are not grown organically nearly as much as high-value crops like fruit and vegetables,” explains Cathy Greene of the USDA, “Our production follows demand and organic imports help us fill in the gaps.”
In 2013 organic food products generated $35.1 billion in sales with a $3.6 billion growth in the last year. During the last three years the average growth for the organic market has been 10% which is compared to the conventional market’s 3%. However, the organic market only accounts for approximately 4% of the overall food market within the United States.
The Canadian organic market saw similar increases having tripled its income from 2006 to $3.5 billion in 2012 exceeding all other agri-food sectors within the country. Canadian organic food and non-alcoholic beverages accounts for $3 billion in revenues. British Columbia also continues to be the province most dedicated to organic growing methods with almost 7% of the province buying organic.
The increase of organic products partly relies on initiatives developed by large retailers who work with consumer demand. “When large retailers expand their offerings, it expands the market,” states Greene, “Surveys have shown that consumers prefer organically produced food because of their concerns regarding health, the environment, and animal welfare, and they show a willingness to pay the price premiums established in the marketplace. Organic products have shifted from being a lifestyle choice for a small share of consumers to being consumed at least occasionally by a majority of Americans.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-26 Spain's organic agricultural area increased by 8%, exceeding 2.6 million hectares in 2021
- 2022-09-26 EU organic import volume went up 2.8% in 2021
- 2022-09-26 Organic products from Sicily are gaining ground on foreign markets
- 2022-09-23 Three judge appeals panel rules in favor of USDA certification of organic hydroponic producers
- 2022-09-23 Texas A&M AgriLife research to improve organic spinach production
- 2022-09-22 Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service helps to grow global market for Texan organic produce
- 2022-09-22 Photo report from Natexpo 2022
- 2022-09-21 Morocco obtains new organic certification
- 2022-09-21 The sales of organic produce grow year by year in China
- 2022-09-20 "Young people are eating more and more organic fruits and vegetables"
- 2022-09-14 Organic NZ apples more popular with Vietnam’s largest retailer
- 2022-09-14 Organic vegetables to be used in Tirumala free meals scheme
- 2022-09-13 In 2022, 89 percent of Italian households bought organic at least once
- 2022-09-13 UK: Riverford Organic Farmers embraces regenerative farming, using parasitic wasps and hoverflies
- 2022-09-07 "Bright prospects for organic top fruit after tough season"
- 2022-09-05 German business chamber helps Sri Lanka firms enter EU organic market
- 2022-09-02 Prices of organic Romaine lettuce have surged
- 2022-09-01 Limited-edition organic wine grapes now available at The Fresh Market
- 2022-08-31 "Excellent organic orange sales, despite large supply; organic lemon shortage didn't hike prices"
- 2022-08-30 Mexico exports some 10,500 tons of organic blueberries in the current season