Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Schoeman Boerdery extends a hand to a hundred rural communities
- No workforce means that fruit remains on trees
- “Japanese market is very demanding when it comes to fruit quality”
- “Citrus from South Africa, Egypt, Morocco and Argentina are highly sought after in Baltic”
- Tight banana supplies push up pricing
Fig consumption on the rise in Europe
This season, the company offers only two varieties, the Brazilian type, called Brown Turkey, and the Cyprus variety, called Autumn Honey. “Both are dark, very tasty, with a better shelf life than during the summer,” says Niva.
According to Niva, consumption tends to increase exponentially before the Christmas holidays in destinations like Scandinavia, the UK or Germany. “I believe it is due to figs being used in high cuisine, for salads, dishes or marmalades. It is an acquired taste, but consumption is on the rise, as people are currently more exposed to ethnic flavours”
In terms of pricing, Avniv Export works with a programme on a fixed price base. “I believe this is good both for me and for my clients; we don’t play with the price. I speak with the grower to find out what he wants and then offer the price to the client, negotiating back with the grower,” states Niva, who also says that “demand is always higher than supply.”
When the firm started exporting figs, in 2009, it first focused on the UK market, which Niva believes to be the most advanced in terms of exotics. “I decided to focus on exotics, because this is something I could have an added value in. I really am passionate about exotics.”
For more information:
Niva Ben Zion
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-12 Tripura exports pineapples to Dubai, Qatar and Bangladesh
- 2022-08-12 California fresh fig season is here
- 2022-08-12 Is there any relationship between cryptocurrencies and avocados?
- 2022-08-12 "Avocado dieback is an increasingly worrying disease for subtropical producers"
- 2022-08-12 “Our northern harvest is underway with the Bay of Plenty starting next week"
- 2022-08-12 South African avocados 40% cheaper due to bumper harvests
- 2022-08-12 Davao City company signs fruit export deal with Singapore firm
- 2022-08-11 Colombia is green-lighted to export Hass avocado to Chile
- 2022-08-11 The Avocado R+D+i initiative is works on developing an intelligent tool to detect optimal maturation degree of avocados
- 2022-08-11 Honduran pitahaya looks at the US market
- 2022-08-11 Vietnamese longan: Ten tons exported to Australia
- 2022-08-11 Egyptians welcome harvest season of prickly pears
- 2022-08-11 Japanese Miyazaki mangoes can go for almost $4,000 a pair
- 2022-08-11 A well loved passion fruit from Breton
- 2022-08-11 Filipino coconut industry has ‘massive potential’
- 2022-08-11 Israel’s fresh pomegranate crop to arrive in Europe and US next week
- 2022-08-11 Cultivation of dragon fruit on the rise in Maharashtra
- 2022-08-10 More crops added to Namibian import ban list
- 2022-08-10 Uttarakhand to export local mangoes to Dubai
- 2022-08-10 Tropical fruit brand looks to make major headway in U.S.