Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Schoeman Boerdery extends a hand to a hundred rural communities
- No workforce means that fruit remains on trees
- “Japanese market is very demanding when it comes to fruit quality”
- “Citrus from South Africa, Egypt, Morocco and Argentina are highly sought after in Baltic”
- Tight banana supplies push up pricing
Apple market suffers from overproduction and price pressure
While Italian apple growers have been able to get normal kilo prices for their apples (between 35 and 45 cents) in the last few years, this year they only reached 13 cents per kilo for Gala apples and 28 cents per kilo for Golden Delicious apples. Participants from Germany also reported drastically low growers prices for apples, even though the price level lies a bit higher here.
The cause of the decline is mainly due to the high increase in production in Europe; it has increased from 11 million tons to circa 12 millions tons now. The situations has worsened due to the ban from Russia, which affected Polish growers in particular. Normally Poland exports 700,000 tons of apples per year to Russia, now they are looking for new markets.
This year the goal of the conference, for the young network, was to compare the production-, systems-, methods-, and -costs for the crops of apples, tomatoes and wine grapes, and to identify the factors influencing the timing of crops.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-12 California about to switch to summer-planted berry region
- 2022-08-12 Government of Canada expands market for fresh British Columbia cherries to South Korea
- 2022-08-12 UK apple season gets underway, heat is accelerating maturity
- 2022-08-12 Impact of climate change on pear cultivation in Belgium
- 2022-08-12 Poma de Girona expects to harvest 88,500 tons of apples, following last year's record
- 2022-08-12 Drought is decimating wild blueberry crops
- 2022-08-12 Arkansas: Heat and heavy rains delay watermelon and peach harvests
- 2022-08-12 Peruvian blueberry exports grew by 119% in the first half of 2022
- 2022-08-12 "We’re slightly afraid of the situation with energy costs"
- 2022-08-12 Grape production grows 13.5% in state of Goiás, Brazil
- 2022-08-12 Israel date season starts with Medjool production to return to normal
- 2022-08-12 “Of course, there are many difficulties, but we will manage”
- 2022-08-12 The 2nd Fresh Hema Xinjiang Fruit Festival kicks off
- 2022-08-12 Watermelon and melon prices increased in Castilla-La Mancha's last auction
- 2022-08-12 Apricots: 2022 production to double in one year
- 2022-08-12 "There is simply almost no supply of melons at the moment, the only bright spot is grapes"
- 2022-08-12 Researchers look into bringing Japanese melons to US
- 2022-08-11 Early end to domestic watermelon season predicted
- 2022-08-11 Spanish apple and pear production fell by 23% and 17%, respectively
- 2022-08-11 Technology upgrades and a brand refresh for Australian strawberry producer