- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
Top 5 -yesterday
- Moroccan farmers are growing blueberries in the Sahara
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba brings technology into agriculture
- China and New Zealand discuss cooperation on new plant varieties
- "Next week, temperatures will increase and strawberry shortage shouldn't be as bad"
- Kiwifruit among the favorite fruits in Europe during the pandemic
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US (CA): Horizon Nut Company expansion in the works
Horizon Nut Company is set to bring hundreds of jobs to Fresno County when its new processing facility is complete, at Jerrold and Shaw Avenues, southwest of Firebaugh.
The land near Firebaugh was once barren, but now dirt is being moved to make way for a new pistachio processing facility for Horizon Nut Company. Fresno County Supervisor Phil Larson said, "This is exciting because this is really bringing an industry that hasn't been here."
Larson advocated to save the land and to bring business to the area. He was among dozens that gathered to celebrate the new chapter for this land.
"This is part of the Broadview Water District," said Larson. This land was abandoned and almost sold out of Fresno County and through our efforts at the board of supervisors and along with a couple of smart attorneys we saved it."
Leaders say unemployment in the Firebaugh-Mendota area hovers around 40 percent, but this new hulling and processing facility will bring 300 positions. Jobs much needed since the drought has hit the west side particularly hard.
"There's been a lot of issues on the west side, drought," said Ted Sheely. "There's not good news out there, so I can say this is good news for our growers."
Ted Sheely with Horizon Nut Company says his growers have been waiting for years to build the facility. Sheely says half the pistachio acreage in the state is still growing and there's a lot more to come.
"To handle what we are going to need in give years from now we have to have more capacity," said Sheely.
The 1,200 acre site will more than double the company's processing capacity to 100 million pounds of pistachios a year.
Construction is expected to last about a year. Leaders say once built, the Horizon Nut Company facility will help the industry grow not only locally, but globally.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-18 India to set up post-entry walnuts quarantine facility in Kashmir
- 2021-01-13 Walnuts: competition from California is stronger this year
- 2021-01-13 ETG Agro India commissions nuts-almonds processing plant in India
- 2021-01-13 Increased exports of Georgian nuts, apples, blueberries, peaches and mandarins
- 2021-01-13 Cheap nuts from the US threaten Spanish walnut industry
- 2021-01-06 Select Harvests completes $129 mln purchase of Piangil Almond Orchard
- 2020-12-24 "You're allowed to serve something nicer at Christmas"
- 2020-12-24 Interest in home cooking drives nut demand up
- 2020-12-24 "Consumer trends lean toward innovative, responsibly produced snacks"
- 2020-12-24 Corona crisis making meal boxes more popular
- 2020-12-24 Amazon nut harvest set to start in January in Peru
- 2020-12-23 Increased demand for chestnuts this holiday season as consumers cook more at home
- 2020-12-22 Predicaments and improvements for Tanzanian cashew nut trade
- 2020-12-17 "Sales of peanuts have now shifted to food retailers"
- 2020-12-17 More Tanzanian products to be exported to Qatar
- 2020-12-15 Turkey: World leader in production and export of four agri-products
- 2020-12-11 The European chestnut network is always open to more international collaborations
- 2020-12-11 The price of Spanish almonds plummets
- 2020-12-08 Acrylamide risk and control in roasted hazelnuts
- 2020-12-08 Limited edition chocolate covered dates sold over 100,000 units during launch