- Offre d’emploi de Responsable Commercial Senior Sales Manager
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
Top 5 -yesterday
- GLOBAL OVERVIEW STRAWBERRIES
- Reemoon introduces a world-first smart system to South African packhouses
- Honduras import melon season underway
- Kenyan avocado exporters given four days to seek clearance ahead of ban
- "If you can guarantee quality throughout the chain, you significantly reduce food waste"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
AMI: where should the mountain of German potatoes go?
"Even setting the prices low is not enough to guarantee sales. With a harvest volume of around 11.5 million tons, 1.8 million tons more than last year must be placed on the market. This predominantly has to do with potato consumption," reports AMI. This year the yield per hectare was larger than ever before: 46,900 tons per hectare (2013: 39,800 tons per hectare), according to provisional numbers from the German Ministry of Food and Agriculture. "Last year the harvest volume matched the level of demand, but now there are not even enough places to store all the potatoes. Even the marketing channels for animal feed, bio-gas production and the starch industry mostly have enough potatoes," reports the AMI.
The oversupply has considerably decreased the price of potatoes in the last few weeks. Good quality potatoes are going for only 5.00 Euro per 100 kg. On top of this, demand is currently decreasing. In the upcoming weeks the growers do not have much hope for better prices. Despite a bigger harvest volume and good quality potatoes, the growers are losing out this season, while the consumers are happy with the favourable prices of fresh potatoes and potato products.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-21 Sustainable intensification yields multiple benefits in China
- 2022-01-21 ‘Potato Crisis’ symbolizes Algeria's struggling economy
- 2022-01-20 'Demand for yellow and red onions is good'
- 2022-01-20 Sinaloa's potato harvest started and producers expect to harvest 380,000 tons
- 2022-01-20 "Sweet potato demand bound to rise"
- 2022-01-20 Renewed demand for processing sector as restaurant restrictions might change
- 2022-01-20 ‘Industry must lead seed potato sector growth’
- 2022-01-20 "Good start to the new year at the potato market"
- 2022-01-20 Onion prices up in Russia
- 2022-01-20 Potato price changes in Eastern Europe and Central Asia
- 2022-01-19 Canada: Québec Parmentier acquires large-scale seed potato producer
- 2022-01-19 Truck accessibility pressures moving already limited potato crops
- 2022-01-19 “A couple of times our containers were sent to the wrong countries”
- 2022-01-19 ‘World's largest potato’ to be DNA tested to check if it's actually a potato
- 2022-01-19 "Price increases of €4 to 5 per 100kg would be necessary to cover costs"
- 2022-01-19 Kenyan growers to start producing Waru potato variety preferred by KFC
- 2022-01-19 Six largest importers of potatoes from Iran
- 2022-01-19 Uzbekistan saw onion prices go up by 25% in first two weeks of 2022
- 2022-01-18 'Supply was stong and sufficient to meet the demand'
- 2022-01-18 Kenyan farmers demand high taxes to be levied on potato imports