- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
Heider Cabral, Abanorte
"Brazil: "Biggest challenge for Jaiba lies in logistics"
According to Heider Cabral, marketing manager of Abanorte, during a presentation the recent Cool Logistics Conference in Rotterdam, “the climate conditions of the region are quite unique, with an average of 7.4 hours of sunshine per day and an average minimum temperature of 18 degrees Celsius and maximum of 35, with almost no rainfall.”
The region benefits from the Jaiba irrigation project. There are 80,000 hectares irrigated with a 500 kilometre long distribution system, and 40% of that is currently being used. “This means there is still potential to develop the other 60%,” affirms Heider. “Our goal is to improve the relationship between government, markets, growers and final consumers, bringing power to the businesses and to society.”
Some of the region’s products include Prata bananas, limes, mangoes and papayas. (For more information on Prata bananas, see this article). “For the limes, 60% goes to the domestic market and the rest is shipped to destinations like the UK, Asia or Canada, and for the mangoes (Palmer), 90% is sold internally and 10% is exported,” explains Heider.
Because of its special climate, the region is capable of producing fruit 11 months a year. “The domestic market, with its growing demand, currently consumes much of the production, but if we develop the other 60% of the project, we’ll have to look to other world markets, and that’s what we are willing to do.”
The biggest challenge for Region of Jaiba lies in logistics, with the cost of shipping a four feet container to Salvador reaching 2,450 dollars; mostly due to the poor state of the roads.
“We already have low production costs, so we really need to collaborate, along with the government, to improve logistically,” affirms Heider. “We are also working in the development of a professional distributor chain in the EU. The end goal is to allow the growers to ship their fruit and give consumers a wider choice of tropical fruit.”
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-27 New Felixstowe strikes exacerbate problems in fragile UK supply chain
- 2022-09-27 "Consider a direct route or have a synergy arrangement to ensure ease of movement for both goods and passengers"
- 2022-09-27 UK port operating firms invest over US$18 million in Southampton container capabilities
- 2022-09-26 Intra-Asia rates out of India crash amid tightening market conditions
- 2022-09-23 “Blockchain technology makes wondering about missing crates a thing of the past"
- 2022-09-23 "An important goods hub for Vienna for 50 years"
- 2022-09-23 COSCO delays investment in Hamburg terminal
- 2022-09-23 Ramp up in Golden Week capacity reductions
- 2022-09-23 Congestion is shifting from more visible to less visible regions of the world
- 2022-09-23 Suez Canal price increases to affect trade in Sub-Saharan and East Africa
- 2022-09-23 PHOTO REPORT Cool Logistics Global 2022
- 2022-09-23 Russia's Black Sea container traffic is down, but not as much as predicted
- 2022-09-23 MSC adds Port of Jeddah to Global Liner Service Network
- 2022-09-22 Perishable hubs of the future and cold chain connectivity
- 2022-09-22 Number 2 US port sees consumer demand easing
- 2022-09-22 Importers discuss squeezed grower margins and record profits for shipping lines
- 2022-09-22 Dropping container freight rates take a toll on newer & smaller players
- 2022-09-22 Port of Gothenburg: New project for local intermediate container storage
- 2022-09-22 Gruber Logistics and Universal Transport step into the future together
- 2022-09-21 Exporters take advantage of Air India’s thrice-a-week Amritsar to London flight