- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
Sainsbury's Q2 sales impacted by deflationary environment
Mike Coupe, Chief Executive, said “The market remains dynamic and fiercely competitive. The longrunning trend of more frequent, convenient shopping has accelerated, resulting in smaller basket sizes. An increase in price investment and short-term competitor promotional activity, combined with favourable commodity markets, has resulted in deflation in many areas of our food business.
"We are focused on serving our customers in the channel of their choice. Our convenience business reached annualised sales of £2 billion and continues to grow strongly, at around 17 per cent."
Groceries online grew by around seven per cent, impacted by a high level of competitor customer acquisition activity in the quarter.
During the quarter we opened 23 new convenience stores and refurbished 10 convenience stores.
"We opened two new supermarkets, three supermarket extensions and refurbished a further two supermarkets. We are on track to deliver five new Netto stores by the end of the year following our announcement on 20 June 2014. We will deliver around 750,000 square feet of new space this year, including around two new convenience stores per week."
"In the second quarter, our performance has been impacted by the accelerated pace of change in the grocery market, including significant pricing activity and food price deflation in many areas. These conditions are likely to persist for the foreseeable future and we now expect our like-for-like sales in the second half of the year to be similar to the first half. We will provide a detailed strategic update at our Interim Results on 12 November 2014.”
For more information:
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7695 0080
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-28 UNFI: Partnership with robotics specialist Symbotic
- 2022-09-28 Choppies registered a 141% growth in profit
- 2022-09-27 Reliance Retail is close to acquiring Bismi
- 2022-09-27 Schnuck Markets plans to buy Fricks Market
- 2022-09-26 Costco held off on increasing its membership fees
- 2022-09-26 Aldi UK reported a 79% fall in 2021 operating profit
- 2022-09-23 HappyFresh is ceasing its operations in Malaysia
- 2022-09-23 ALDI US: "Our fresh fruit and vegetable sales are up 70% in the last five years"
- 2022-09-22 JD.com inaugurates an agricultural sibling
- 2022-09-22 Aldi: U.S. same-store sales rose in the double digits over the last 12 months
- 2022-09-21 El Confidencial: Amazon has suspended the construction of new warehouses in Spain until 2024
- 2022-09-21 GrubMarket has completed the acquisition of JC Produce
- 2022-09-20 Sezamo launches in Italy
- 2022-09-20 BrightDrop: Launch of a new temperature-controlled eCart
- 2022-09-19 MySuki: Online grocery platform with the largest footprint in the Philippines
- 2022-09-19 Kroger has gone live with its 10th Ocado-automated “spoke” site
- 2022-09-16 John Lewis Partnership reported a loss for the first half of the year
- 2022-09-16 Empire: Financial results for the first quarter
- 2022-09-15 Walmart Canada stores across the country are getting an automated AI-assist
- 2022-09-15 Coop Denmark is bringing some of its biggest retail chains together under unified banners