- Tomato Breeder (H/F)
- Junior / Senior Export Manager
- Assistant Cultivation Manager - Capitol Heights (MD) USA
- Greenhouse Investment Analyst - Portland (OR) USA
- Market Manager - Horticulture, USA
- Procurement and Marketing Manager - Kenya
- Head Grower - Bahrain
- Quality Assurance Manager - (Victoria, NSW or Tasmania) Australia
- (Assistant) Manager
- Senior Commodities Trader | Pulses | Ukraine
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Maersk Line: Additional ECA surcharge will be $50 to $150 per FEU
The company said it will pay about $250 million per year extra when new limits on the sulfur content of fuel take effect at the start of next year.
Maersk Line said it expects about 7 percent of the fuel used by its fleet, or 650,000 metric tonnes (mt), will have the 0.10 percent sulfur content required in ECAs.
In addition, the carrier said its costs for third-party feeder operators will rise as those companies pass along their own increased fuel bills.
“The extra costs will vary as the price of low-sulfur fuels rise and fall. We expect that (the) additional cost to customers in affected trades will be between $50 and $150 per 40-foot container to and from main ports, depending on transit time inside ECA areas and whether touching ECA areas at both origin and destination," the carrier said.
The extra costs will vary as the price of low-sulfur fuels rise and fall, and they will be higher for refrigerated containers, which require the use of extra fuel for electricity generation.
Maersk LIne said it will provide more detail on standard surcharge increases as it gets better estimates of the likely price of low-sulfur fuel in 2015.
One recent analysis predicted that carriers will pay 62 to 70 percent extra for sulfur burned in ECAs compared with heavy fuel oil (HFO).
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2014-07-31 Extend shipping distances for perishables
- 2014-07-30 Port of Antwerp handled up to 98,229,046 tonnes in H1 2014
- 2014-07-30 Philippine Ports Authority plans to privatize 3 ports in Mindanao
- 2014-07-30 Maersk unveils low-sulphur surcharge, but customers of other carriers must wait
- 2014-07-29 Qatar Air aims to be among top five cargo operators
- 2014-07-29 "Limited availability of reefers will lead to greater shortage of equipment"
- 2014-07-28 Chile's CCNI and Hamburg Sud ink preliminary merger deal
- 2014-07-28 New route for South American citrus, grapes and blueberries to the U.S.
- 2014-07-28 Israel: “Beauty of vegetables” opens new logistics centre
- 2014-07-25 CEO at Easyfresh and expert in global reefer logistics
- 2014-07-24 Ability to scan cargo on moving trains with no loss of security
- 2014-07-23 Peru: Ecuador's restrictions affect exporters
- 2014-07-22 Tilbury wins CMA CGM North Europe-Med service to meet demand
- 2014-07-22 New freight train from China through 5 countries in Central Asia
- 2014-07-21 Triple-E ships boost Maersk’s Asia–North Europe capacity by 15%
- 2014-07-21 Oman International Container Terminal enhances capabilities at Sohar Port
- 2014-07-21 Affordable cold chain solutions to protect valuable assets
- 2014-07-18 Maersk Line: Additional ECA surcharge will be $50 to $150 per FEU
- 2014-07-17 Building a fresh-produce gateway through South Florida ports
- 2014-07-16 ‘Erratic’ rate increase attempts not understood, taken seriously by shippers