- Lead Glasshouse Engineer - Brough, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
- Laborant - Bleiswijk
- Farm Manager - India
- Maintenance Technician - Peats Ridge, Australia
- Candidates for Vice-President Operations - Ottawa (Ontario) Canada
- European Export Sales Manager (Asia Market)
- Autonomous Greenhouse Manager
- Sales & Product representative Pot & Garden USA
- Supervisor International Horticultural Projects (USA)
- Director Of Growing - Carleton (MI) USA
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Essential oil treatment to control crown rot disease in bananas
The main fungal agents of Crown rot of banana fruit are Fusarium semitectum e Colletotrichum musae.
The scientists at Department of Plant Pathology, National Research Centre (Giza, Egypt), have tested first in vitro and then in vivo the efficacy of different essential oils in inhibiting the growth of fungi responsible for crown rot of banana.
For the study, the essential oil of cinnamon, thyme, bitter almonds, sweet almonds were assayed. The essential oils have been applied as coating at different concentrations from 0.125% to 1% in the in vitro conditions and from 1% to 4% in the in vivo storage conditions.
In vitro tests showed that the essential oils of cinnamon and bitter almonds, applied at the lower concentration of 0.125%, significantly reduced the fungal development by 63% and 44%, respectively. The percentage of reduction of the fungal development gradually increased with increasing the concentration of the two essential oils up to reach the 100% reduction using 1% concentration. At 1% concentration, the essential oils of thyme and sweet almonds have reduced the fungal development by 71% and 63%, respectively.
In vivo tests on artificially inoculated fruits showed that the essential oils used for post-harvest treatment significantly affected the incidence and severity of crown rot.
The fungal development was reduced by 100% in bananas treated with thyme and cinnamon essential oil at 4% concentration, while it was reduced by 87% and 79% in bananas treated with sweet and bitter almond oils, respectively.
Click here to enlarge the table.
The scientists have also evaluated the impact of postharvest treatment with essential oils on bananas organoleptic properties and they have concluded that there were not significant differences among bananas treated with cinnamon, bitter and sweet almond oils and untreated fruits (control) with respect to flavour, aroma, taste and overall acceptability.
Source: Abd-Alla MA, El-Gamal NG, El-Mougy NS, Abdel-Kader MM, Post-harvest treatments for controlling crown rot disease of Williams banana fruits (Musa acuminata L.) in Egypt, 2014, Plant Pathology & Quarantine, Vol. 4, pagg. 1-12.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-10-30 Ecuador establishes two mechanisms to set the price of a box of bananas in 2021
- 2020-10-30 Chiapas registers a decline in mango and banana production
- 2020-10-30 Banana Roadshow Series is back
- 2020-10-29 AgroFair pays voluntary Covid-19 compensation premium to its banana growers
- 2020-10-29 Minister Planas will defend maintaining the EU aid to the Canary Islands' banana sector
- 2020-10-29 "Myanmar banana exports to China declined because of Covid-19 pandemic"
- 2020-10-28 Peruvian banana producers negotiate the price for the 2021 season as costs increase
- 2020-10-27 Ecuador's international banana prices fall
- 2020-10-27 Asian banana markets in rapid flux
- 2020-10-26 The banana sector awaits the ratification of the FTA between Colombia and the United Kingdom
- 2020-10-26 Cambodian banana export to China grows rapidly
- 2020-10-23 South Africa: Banana season delayed by four weeks
- 2020-10-23 Cameroon banana exports down 19.500 tons YoY in Jan-Sep 2020
- 2020-10-21 The process to regularize illegal banana farms in Ecuador is already underway
- 2020-10-20 Chinese banana prices stop falling and gradually warm up again
- 2020-10-20 Compagnie Fruitiére banana ripening facility completed at DP World London Gateway Logistics Park
- 2020-10-20 Bananas from Ecuador cost £0.66 last week
- 2020-10-19 Latin American banana wholesale prices for Germany at €107 in week 41
- 2020-10-19 Will India’s banana farms be able to face Panama wilt?
- 2020-10-19 Fairtrade highlights importance of decent work at international banana convention