- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Senior Commercial Manager
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
Top 5 -yesterday
- Danish robots make up for labour shortages on farms across Europe and further afield
- Australian-first Reemoon Fruscan 7 blemish grading technology already achieving improved quality
- Supermarket shortages could worsen as Australian growers brace for rain
- Ecuador: Non-oil export losses amount to $85 million in 16 days of strikes
- "Many berry producers from Huelva are considering abandoning their crops"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- How a safari camp in the heart of Kenya’s Masai Mara is harvesting 200kg monthly
- A very crowded European avocado market
- Kenya has surpassed South Africa as Africa’s top avocado exporter
- "We have lost 80% of our stone fruit production this year"
- "The soil of Zimbabwe seems to be magical for blueberries”
India: Onion exports decline by 32.4% in current fiscal
Onions are exported to Malaysia, Dubai, Qatar, Kuwait, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Bangladesh, Nepal and other countries from Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and other states.
"The export of onions has declined by 32.67 per cent to 8.53 lakh tonnes, against the export of 12.67 lakh tonnes during the corresponding period in the last fiscal 2012-'13. The decline in export is due to reduced supply over the past few months and a higher Minimum Export Price (MEP) set by the government," an official of the National Horticulture Research and Development Foundation ( NHRDF) told TOI on Friday.
The union government had revised the earlier MEP of onion, which stood at $1,150 a tonne, to $850 a tonne on December 16. With domestic prices of the crop falling sharply, farmers had strongly sought removal of MEP and had staged a rasta roko on the Mumbai-Agra national highway on Thursday and carried out similar protests over the past week. Finally, the government on Thursday reduced the MEP to $350 a tonne.
In 2012-13, the country had exported 18.22 lakh tonnes of onions, raking in an export revenue of Rs 2,294.90-crore. India's annual onion production is estimated to be about 131.47 lakh tonnes, with 7.73 lakh hectares of area under onion cultivation. Onion is grown in the kharif, late kharif (also called rangada) and rabi (summer) seasons. In 2012-13, the area under onion production was 9.92 lakh hectares, including 2.62 lakh hectares in Maharashtra, 1.82 lakh hectares in Karnataka, 96,880 hectares in Madhya Pradesh and 84,130 hectares in Andhra Pradesh.
In 2012-13, onion production stood at 166 lakh tonnes, including 47.63 lakh tonnes from Maharashtra, 25.23 lakh tonnes from Karnataka, 21.50 lakh tonnes from Madhya Pradesh and 15.14 lakh tonnes from Andhra Pradesh.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-30 US potatoes in the spudlight: Forecasting a new norm in abnormal times
- 2022-06-30 'Overall gap on yellows in California and light rains in New Mexico made for a quick market spike'
- 2022-06-30 Limestone Coast potato grower sees excellent demand
- 2022-06-30 Irish domestic consumption appears to have plateaued
- 2022-06-29 Bangladesh: Consumer rights directorate recommends importation of onions
- 2022-06-29 Met Éireann warns of potato blight risk across eight counties
- 2022-06-29 "Because of the abundant yield, we were able to offer German onions into June"
- 2022-06-29 New potato season about to begin with many uncertainties
- 2022-06-28 Flooding destroys onion crops across Afghanistan
- 2022-06-28 Great interest from Sweden and Finland for the first Acquaviva red onions
- 2022-06-28 New platform will benefit Tanzanian potato farmers
- 2022-06-28 Proposed EU pesticide cuts could threaten potato growing in Ireland
- 2022-06-27 Later start on smaller crop of Idaho potatoes this summer
- 2022-06-27 Despite unpredictable market, slight increase in seed potato final price for growers
- 2022-06-27 Australian potato growers call for 20 cents more per kilo
- 2022-06-27 Potatoes SA chairs roundtable on the state of fresh produce markets
- 2022-06-27 "The current context is disrupting onion consumption habits"
- 2022-06-27 "Despite record exports, the onion market's mood's been bland just about all season"
- 2022-06-27 NFU Potato Forum chair Tim Rooke talks about costs and their impacts on potato growers
- 2022-06-27 Sri Lanka removes ban on open account food imports