- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
- Vegetable Seed - EU Sales and Regional Manager
- Business Developer – High Tech Horticulture
- Bravo Sales and Administration Officer
- Operations Manager Organic Farm Barka Oman
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Spain: Uvasdoce to again market the Mini Uvas for Christmas
“We had to start importing Italian grapes earlier than usual to be able to cover our contracted demand,” explains Miriam Cutillas, from the Marketing Department of the company Uvasdoce. “In any case, our greatest hurdles were the drop in both prices and consumption levels, more severe in Spain, but also noticeable at some other markets, such as the United Kingdom,” she explains. “The Aledo variety is not giving us as many quality problems at the moment, although volumes are smaller than usual.”
Despite all this, this is the time of the year when grapes are more popular, both nationally, motivated by the popular tradition of eating grapes on New Year’s Eve, and internationally, with France and Italy being the main markets for Aledo grapes at the moment.
“The only drawback during the Christmas period in Spain is the price war between supermarket chains. The increasingly lower prices are leading us to export more; for this reason, the acreage devoted to the Aledo variety keeps being reduced, as production costs are higher than with other varieties.”
In preparation for New Year’s Eve, Uvasdoce sells various formats containing the twelve grapes, using both Aledo grapes from Vinalopo and other imported seedless varieties.
“Spain is, without a doubt, the main market for these, although we have also been distributing them in Italy for the past four years. The tradition there is to eat lentils, but in some regions the Spanish custom of the twelve grapes is gaining popularity, and we believe the tradition can spread to even more overseas markets,” affirms Miriam.
This year, Uvasdoce will once again market the Mini Uvas (Mini Grapes) format, which was a success last year. It contains grapes of a smaller calibre, presented in a bell-shaped container, and it is distributed to large supermarket chains and hotels.
Uvasdoce, committed to fighting cancer
This year, the company has signed a one year agreement with the Spanish Association Against Cancer. A new line of products will be launched this week with the seal of this association; a part of the profits generated will be invested in cancer research related projects.
“With the agreement coming into force and taking advantage of the fact that it is Christmas, we will launch a 1 kilo present-shaped container. 10% of the revenue generated by its sales will be donated to the Spanish Association Against Cancer.
For more information:
Estrella Miralles (Commercial Director)
M: +34 655225286
Miriam Cutillas (Marketing)
M: +34 659670964
Ctra. Monforte-Agost km. 6.9
Partida de las Norias nº 188
T: +34 965 620 125
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-17 Organic import apples and pear programs underway
- 2022-05-17 SunOpta starts seeing turnaround in fruit business
- 2022-05-17 USHBC and NABC add new director of business intelligence
- 2022-05-17 The planting of melon and watermelon begins in Castilla-La Mancha with less surface area
- 2022-05-17 The Mazzarrone grapes campaign will start in ten days
- 2022-05-17 First US cherries arrive at Guangzhou market
- 2022-05-17 "Portuguese stone fruit harvest started much earlier than Spanish one, due to weather"
- 2022-05-17 Early ARRA varieties kick off Israeli table grape season
- 2022-05-17 Poland ranked third among EU countries, regarding strawberry production
- 2022-05-16 Slight delay for Washington Cherries
- 2022-05-16 "We started the cherry campaign 12 days later, with good prices and large sizes"
- 2022-05-16 Local cherries in Hefei enter the harvest season
- 2022-05-16 Apple market cools down, and the trading enters its off-season
- 2022-05-16 New Zealand apple industry intends to be 'spray-free' by 2050
- 2022-05-16 Australian berry industry has seen significant growth in recent years
- 2022-05-16 Peru: Exports from La Libertad reached US$ 521 million in first two months of 2022
- 2022-05-16 State of São Paulo leads fruit production in Brazil
- 2022-05-16 National grape intake volumes 3.6% higher than last year
- 2022-05-16 Significant increases in price for fruit this week; red cherries, seedless watermelons, Bartlett pears
- 2022-05-16 Will French apples disappear from our compotes?