Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Apofruit

Italy: Positive premiums for summer fruit

An overall positive year, even though there were some negative aspects towards the end of the campaign for the Apofruit cooperative, which presented its premium list during partner meetings in the various production areas (Emilia, Romagna, Metaponto, Puglia and Lazio).



Despite the fact that the market was lively until July and that prices then dropped in August and September, premiums rewarded the policy chosen by the cooperative.
 
Ilenio Bastoni, sales manager of Apofruit, says that the policy is "based on varietal innovation, the growth of produce with our own brand and the development of strategic species destined to the international market."

As regards summer fruit, therefore, Apofruit paid a premium for 586,000 quintals (22% less than 2012) equal to €34 million, i.e. 9% more in absolute value with respect to 2012.

"If we consider the drop in quantities and the increase in value, we can see how the average premium per kilo is 40% more than last year."

A positive season then, even with some differences among the main productions of Apofruit, 72% of which is represented by peaches and nectarines (see chart below).

Chart in Italian.



The peach and nectarine campaign was characterised by very interesting prices up until July, which then dropped in August and September because rainy and cold weather did not support consumption. The early varieties were therefore favoured, whereas the late ones followed a negative trend, similar to that of 2012. New varieties made between €0.10 and €0.15 more thanks to their improved colour, taste and shelf-life.

As regards apricots, production was low (40% less than 2012) but results were very interesting as premiums were 80-100% higher than last year.

Positive production and premiums also for plums.

Summer pears were slightly less than last year, but results were rather interesting for producers.

Finally, despite the competition, results were acceptable for table grapes thanks to the new seedless varieties destined mainly to the foreign market.

The year was good also for organic produce, as prices were higher by 60-100% with respect to the traditional produce.

"These results are due to an increase in exports, a segmentation of destination markets and years of investments in brand policy. Almaverde Bio, for example, reached a +6% turnover at the end of October, and Solarelli even reached 16%. Apofruit producers benefit from these choices."

Chart in Italian.


The foreign market (turnovers for summer produce). Over 70% of exports of Apofruit summer fruit go to Germany and Great Britain. The remaining 30% is very fractioned.

"The differences between varieties are confirmed in 2013 - a sign of how varietal innovation is essential so that partners can achieve better results."

"In occasion with payment of premiums, advance payments of 70% on autumn products and 50% on winter products will also be made."

Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber