- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Senior Commercial Manager
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
- Freight rates will drop by 20-30% in the second half of the year
- T&G takes big step towards low carbon future with Sustainability-Linked Loan
- 2022 NZ kiwifruit harvest complete
- Proposed EU pesticide cuts could threaten potato growing in Ireland
- Maersk: No abatement in surging costs of shipping goods
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- How a safari camp in the heart of Kenya’s Masai Mara is harvesting 200kg monthly
- A very crowded European avocado market
- "We have lost 80% of our stone fruit production this year"
- "The soil of Zimbabwe seems to be magical for blueberries”
- San Miguel sells fresh fruit operations in Peru and South Africa to Citri&Co
US (FL): USDA delivers December citrus crop forecast
The USDA estimated early-mid orange varieties at 56 million, down 2 million and Valencia at 65 million also down 2 million from November. The USDA blamed the decrease on fruit drop and smaller sizes.
"HLB continues to rear its ugly head and this decrease can be directly attributed to the stress caused by the disease," said Michael W. Sparks, executive VP/CEO of Florida Citrus Mutual. "This small crop size shows how damaging HLB, or citrus greening, can be and that growers are in a fight for their lives."
The USDA makes its initial estimate in October of each year and revises it monthly as the crop takes shape until the end of the season in July. However, the federal government shutdown delayed the initial estimate until Friday Nov. 8.
During the 2012-2013 season, Florida produced 133.6 million boxes of oranges.
The USDA's estimate of the 2013-2014 Florida grapefruit crop is now 16.7 million boxes down 1.1 million from November. Speciality fruit is now at 4.6 million boxes, down 150,000. The yield for frozen concentrate orange juice (FCOJ) is up slightly to 1.61 gallons per 90-pound box.
The Florida citrus industry creates a $9 billion annual economic impact, employing nearly 76,000 people, and covering about 550,000 acres. Founded in 1948, Florida Citrus Mutual is the state's largest citrus grower organization.
For more information, visit www.flcitrusmutual.com.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-29 Citrus Pest and Disease Prevention Program releases annual report for FY2020-2021
- 2022-06-29 Argentina will harvest almost 2 million tons of lemons this season
- 2022-06-29 “It was a really bad citrus campaign”
- 2022-06-29 Nicaraguan plantation has potential yield of up to 150,000 native limes a week
- 2022-06-29 Deadly golden dodder weed threatens citrus in Teso, Uganda
- 2022-06-29 Citrus Forum brought together more than 1,450 professionals from the sector and became an international reference for the sector
- 2022-06-28 Early mandarins picked and listed, and the market has a good start
- 2022-06-28 Revised estimates for fresh lemon production up by 15 percent
- 2022-06-27 South Africa set for record citrus exports of 2.7 million tons in MY2021/22
- 2022-06-27 The transporters' strike in Argentina could cause millions of losses in Tucuman and Corrientes' lemon harvest
- 2022-06-27 "Political pressure trumps scientific facts in new EU rule on cold treatment of South African oranges"
- 2022-06-27 South African citrus: "The Russian market turned out to be actually very good"
- 2022-06-24 Differing expectations of start date of new cold treatment for Southern African oranges
- 2022-06-24 Zimbabwe: Citrus exports to EU up 30%
- 2022-06-24 Turkish citrus production up, profit margins down
- 2022-06-23 CRDF recommends lowering Box Tax Rate
- 2022-06-23 Citrus season in full swing at Star South Fruits
- 2022-06-23 The 2021/22 Spanish lemon season ends with a "positive balance"
- 2022-06-23 Western Australian mandarin quality remains high as peak of the season approaches
- 2022-06-23 Rural Rising is organizing a 'rescue buy' of Benguet lemons