- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
- Vegetable Seed - EU Sales and Regional Manager
- Business Developer – High Tech Horticulture
- Bravo Sales and Administration Officer
Top 5 -yesterday
- Onion markets see regionalization
- Mexican table grape industry challenged to ship 25 million boxes in 10 weeks
- Dominican Republic pineapples selling well in Europe
- Australian mango industry to receive a $2.7million boost through two major projects
- “Harvest of the early cherry varieties has already started”
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Netherlands loses ground with peppers to Spain
Therefore it appears mainly re-export is lagging behind. In the same period, there were a third more peppers imported from Spain to Germany. Compared to last year there was more Spanish product imported in the first three months of this year. The import from The Netherlands (Dutch product) remained especially in the months May and July behind last year. Dutch export to second receiver, England stayed behind in the period January to July by 5% and export to Sweden 12%. The only two countries where signs show significantly more import up until July are Belgium and Norway.
This year less imported into The Netherlands
Dutch import of peppers has this year sharply (a quarter) lagged behind that from the same period of the previous year. Imports from Israel halved and those from Spain were 6% smaller. Spanish export of peppers in the first seven months of this year had grown by 7%. This, after last year, could be another record year with more than 500,000 tons exported mainly due to German import in the first seven months of this year which is striking: +22%. Due to the large German demand, export to France and Italy fell slightly.
The Netherlands is the worlds second largest exporter of peppers
The total world production of peppers is not known. There is a (FAO) figure of the production of peppers and chillies together. China is the most important producer with an estimated production of around 15.5 million tons. Mexico, Turkey and Indonesia are the other producers with a yearly harvest of more than 1 million tons. World export of peppers is again not exactly known, the figure which is available again combines peppers and chillies. Mexico is, however, the largest. From this country it is well known that they produced more chillies than peppers in 2012, respectively 403.000 and 364.000 ton. In export value peppers predominate chillies, respectively in 2012, 409 and 381 million dollars. Incidentally almost all goes to northern neighbour, the United States. Spain is the second largest exporter. Spain is, therefore, the main exporter of peppers in the world. The Netherlands is viewed worldwide as the third exporter of chillies and the second of only peppers.
USA leading importer; 5.500 ton organic
The United States was by far the largest importer in 2012 with an amount of nearly 900.000 ton. It is for the most part due to peppers. The USA registers the product separately as organic. In 2012 there was 5.500 tons grown of which 3.300 ton was under glass. Quite a distance away Germany is the top second importer and England is third. The Netherlands is the world's fourth largest importer.
Fore more info:
Fruit & Vegetable Facts
Jan Kees Boon
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-19 India’s relaxation of import fumigation rules will ease trade with Afghanistan
- 2022-05-19 North Carolina farmers worry surging fuel & fertilizer costs could result in empty shelves
- 2022-05-19 The losses due to rains and cold in Valencian agriculture could amount to 150 million euro
- 2022-05-19 Four million euros earmarked for the Vittoria Market in Sicily
- 2022-05-19 Japan is looking to Morocco to help ensure its food security
- 2022-05-19 Egypt - Malaysia trade exchange increased by 81% in 2021
- 2022-05-19 Interest for certified Italian products by foreign countries
- 2022-05-19 'South African imported pears dominated the scene by a wide margin'
- 2022-05-19 "The consumer slump, caused by the war, represents an extreme situation against which we are virtually helpless"
- 2022-05-19 Soaring dollar rates affect Pakistan fruit and vegetable prices
- 2022-05-19 Digital Agricultural Academy of Hungary to take farmers into new age
- 2022-05-19 General Authority for Statistics: Prices of some goods up by 36%
- 2022-05-18 USDA to provide $6 billion to commodity and specialty crop producers
- 2022-05-18 Turkey: Agri inflation hit new record in April
- 2022-05-18 Soaring temperatures reflected in fruit and vegetable prices
- 2022-05-18 Imports during the season depress prices and sales
- 2022-05-18 "We want to continue to strengthen the innovative capacity of the Swiss agricultural and food industry"
- 2022-05-18 U.S Dept of Labor recovers $225K in back wages for agri workers in California
- 2022-05-18 Imports thrive as locally grown fruits and vegetables languish in Vietnam
- 2022-05-18 EU fruit and vegetable imports from third countries continue to grow