- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Senior Commercial Manager
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
Top 5 -yesterday
- GLOBAL OVERVIEW TOMATOES
- “Harvesting large volumes of blueberries should be delayed by about 7 to 10 days”
- South African power grid under immense strain as cold stores prepare for new EU orange protocol
- Ecuador’s banana exports to resume after end of crippling nationwide protests
- Extreme price pressure on banana producers
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- How a safari camp in the heart of Kenya’s Masai Mara is harvesting 200kg monthly
- A very crowded European avocado market
- Kenya has surpassed South Africa as Africa’s top avocado exporter
- "We have lost 80% of our stone fruit production this year"
- "The soil of Zimbabwe seems to be magical for blueberries”
Kiwis might improve your sleep!
We still don’t know, however, whether sleep duration is a cause or simply a marker of ill health. Maybe sleeping too little or too long does make you unhealthy—or maybe we see the associated shortened lifespan because being unhealthy causes you to sleep shorter or longer.
Similar work has now been published on cognitive function. After controlling for a long list of factors, men and women in their 50s and 60s getting 7 or 8 hours appeared to have the best short-term memory compared to those that got much more or much less. The same thing was just demonstrated with immune function: “both reduced and prolonged habitual sleep durations were associated with an increased risk of pneumonia.”
It’s easy to not get too much sleep—just set an alarm. But what if you’re having problems getting enough? What if you’re one of the 1 in 3 adults that suffer symptoms of insomnia? There are drugs like Valium that you can take for insomnia in the short term, but they have a number of adverse side effects. Non-pharmacological approaches such as cognitive behavioral therapy are often difficult, time-consuming, and not always effective. Wouldn’t it be great to have “natural treatments that can improve both sleep onset and help patients improve the quality of sleep while improving next-day symptoms over the long term?”
Enter “Effect of Kiwifruit Consumption on Sleep Quality in Adults With Sleep Problems.” Participants were given two kiwifruit an hour before bed every night for four weeks. Why kiwifruits? Well, people with sleep disorders tend to have high levels of oxidative stress, so maybe antioxidant rich foods might help. But all fruits and vegetables have antioxidants. Kiwifruits contain twice the serotonin of tomatoes—but it shouldn’t cross the blood-brain barrier. Kiwifruit has folate, and a deficiency might cause insomnia—but there’s a lot more folate in some other plant foods.
The reason they studied kiwifruits is because they got grant money from a kiwifruit company. And I’m glad they did because they found some really remarkable results: Significantly improved sleep onset, duration, and efficiency using both subjective and objective measurements. Participants went from sleeping 6 hours a night to 7—by just eating a few kiwifruit.
More on the power of kiwis in my videos Kiwifruit and DNA Repair and Kiwifruit for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and more on sleep in Sleep & Immunity and Optimal Sleep Duration.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-07-01 New dragon fruit program being launched
- 2022-07-01 Fruits with a niche market have small volume and high price and increase in popularity
- 2022-07-01 Early prickly pears are grown in greenhouses in Sicily
- 2022-07-01 Avocados in service of 100-year old women’s shelter in central Johannesburg
- 2022-07-01 'Eat Me' launches summer campaign with avocado for every moment
- 2022-07-01 Tanzanian govt to invest in facilitating avocado value addition
- 2022-07-01 Pitahaya fires up the imagination of Boland fruit grower
- 2022-06-30 Strong pull for California avocados going into July 4th
- 2022-06-30 Chile has exported more than 77,600 tons of kiwis so far this season
- 2022-06-30 Brazil: Santa Catarina pitaya harvest 75% higher than last year
- 2022-06-30 "Limited supply means good prices for mangoes, despite moderate demand"
- 2022-06-30 Rain affects the quantity of ginger in the market, and the price is on the strong side
- 2022-06-30 Bangladesh mango exports reach five-year high
- 2022-06-30 Lack of infrastructure hampers Pakistani mango exports
- 2022-06-29 Sanifruit manages to extend shelf life of avocado by at least 3 days at point of sale
- 2022-06-29 Fruits supplied to Hong Kong through Shenzhen port quadrupled in 25 years
- 2022-06-29 Kenya has surpassed South Africa as Africa’s top avocado exporter
- 2022-06-29 Chapainawabganj traders double mango prices claiming production has halved
- 2022-06-29 "Conditions in Chinese ginger market will improve in October"
- 2022-06-28 Iran: Exotic fruit exports exceed $520 million