- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Senior Commercial Manager
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
- Packaging Supervisor
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- How a safari camp in the heart of Kenya’s Masai Mara is harvesting 200kg monthly
- A very crowded European avocado market
- "We have lost 80% of our stone fruit production this year"
- "The soil of Zimbabwe seems to be magical for blueberries”
- San Miguel sells fresh fruit operations in Peru and South Africa to Citri&Co
Seminis launches three new seedless watermelon varieties
"In our consumer research we learned that consumers want that classic watermelon flavor," said Seminis Watermelon breeder Jerome Bernier. "With our three new watermelon varieties, we are confident our farmer customers can help consumers rediscover that classic watermelon flavor in a seedless variety."
The new lineup includes watermelon triploids SV0241WA, SV0258WA and WM8317. SV0241WA is a high-quality 45/60 count watermelon triploid with an average of 3-4 fruits set per plant with outstanding fruit uniformity, fruit shape, and a high quality interior with crisp flesh. With a consistent average Brix sugar content level of 11 degrees or higher, SV0241WA has shown to have exceptional eating quality across all testing locations in the U.S. In addition, it has high resistance* to Anthracnose and intermediate resistance* to Fusarium wilt race 1.
"Because SV0241WA is a little smaller than a traditional watermelon, we think this type of watermelon is going to become more and more popular as people are looking for something more convenient that takes up less space in the refrigerator," explained Bernier, who primarily breeds for seedless watermelon varieties for the United States and Mexico.
For the West and Northeast U.S. geographies, SV0258WA is a larger type melon in the 36 count range with a crunchy texture, great color, and great taste.
For the Southeast U.S., WM8317 is a fantastic seedless watermelon triploid that produces excellent fruit with a dark green skin, consistent round shape, sweet taste (with an average Brix sugar content level of 11 degrees), deep red color, density and texture. In addition, it has intermediate resistance* to both Anthracnose and Fusarium wilt race 1. The plant has a vigorous vine habit providing good leaf protection.
"It is exciting to know that after almost a decade of breeding and testing, we have a lot to offer our watermelon growers," added Bernier. "But it doesn't stop here - our customers can expect a pipeline of future products that continue to deliver both yield potential and quality."
For more information:
Tel: +1 314-694-3247
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-28 Florida Dpt of Agriculture and Consumer Services announces presence of Oriental fruit flies
- 2022-06-28 Scientists send out wasps to save Willamette Valley fruits
- 2022-06-28 First cherries in British Columbia being harvested
- 2022-06-28 JAZZ™ apple heroic “DC League of Super-Pets”-branded snacks to fans
- 2022-06-28 Peru's blueberry campaign begins with expectations to increase shipments to Malaysia and India
- 2022-06-28 Cieza farmers will export a new red meat apricot to Europe this year
- 2022-06-28 Chilean fresh fruit exports up until May increased
- 2022-06-28 "I want to eventually supply retailers with white currants at Christmas"
- 2022-06-28 "There will be a boost to Murcia's promotional campaign in September"
- 2022-06-28 Covid, Brexit and Ukraine war worsen shortage of soft fruit pickers in UK
- 2022-06-28 UK: storm of Covid, Brexit, and the Ukraine war leads to worsening shortage of soft fruit pickers
- 2022-06-28 Georgia: Strawberry prices hit a four-year high
- 2022-06-28 Swedish Midsummer festival leads to record strawberry sales
- 2022-06-28 Pakistan growers hope to increase cherry presence in China
- 2022-06-27 Pakistan agrees to import tariff of 5% for Iranian apples
- 2022-06-27 Israel’s ARO Breeding Program releases Pearls of table grapes
- 2022-06-27 Tighter supplies of blueberries for July 4th holiday
- 2022-06-27 "There will be more than enough blueberries by the end of the year"
- 2022-06-27 Angelcot crop anticipated to move fast
- 2022-06-27 Peru's organic blueberry production will grow again