- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
- Sales & Product Development Coordinator - Thornlands (QLD) Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Prices in Turkey are changing drastically from day to day"
- ALDI shopper encounters unwelcome guest in her broccoli
- Vertical Future raises £21 million to stabilize production in the UK
- Pricing strong--and possibly strengthening--on onions
- “There’s a high demand from China for Egyptian oranges, especially for Valencia”
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Walmart faces fresh trouble as it seeks to expand into India
In September, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announced a slew of financial reforms, which included permitting foreign investors to hold up to 51 per cent in multi-brand retail concerns.
However, it has now been alleged that the world's largest retailer, Walmart, bought a stake in Bharti Enterprises before that particular reform came into existence.
Allegations focus on the fact that Walmart's investment in a domestic unit of its wholesale joint-venture partner came through debentures, a type of bond issued by a corporation to secure capital. Walmart allegedly issued the debentures so that they could later be converted to an equity stake.
The Enforcement Directorate, an elite agency within the Finance Ministry, is looking into the claim, first made by a member of the Communist Party of India.
Anand Sharma, India's commerce minister, said: "Allegations are allegations. In a rule-based and rule-governed country, if there is any violation, there are agencies and authorities who have the freedom to look into that. I shall not comment on the alleged FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act) violations which have yet to be looked into."
The Indian government's resolution to liberalise its retail, and several other sectors has been met with fierce and repeated criticism.
The Trinamool Congress party (TMC), a key ally of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), quit the coalition over its stance against the decision to liberalise the retail sector.
Speculation abounds that when the winter session of parliament begins on Thursday, the TMC, led by Mamata Banerjee - the Chief Minister of West Bengal state, will try to bring a no-confidence motion against the government.
Balbir Punj, spokesperson of Bharatiya Janata Party, said: "We have all options open, we will coordinate with every political party which is ready to resist the anti-people policies of this government. And we will definitely coordinate with Mamata Banerjee and we welcome her initiative."
Whether or not the no-confidence motion is introduced, the government will have to put up a strong defence of its reform policies. This will be a tough task, particularly due to the fact that it is already under a lot of pressure over corruption scandals.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-18 Aldi UK: First checkout-free store in Greenwich
- 2022-01-18 BYD partners with Nuro
- 2022-01-17 Walmart appears to be venturing into the metaverse
- 2022-01-17 Online grocery startup Tawfeer has announced its intention to expand across Egypt
- 2022-01-14 Jerónimo Martins surpassed the €20bln sales milestone
- 2022-01-14 Trigo tests frictionless stores for Wakefern Food Corp.
- 2022-01-13 Tesco raised its profit outlook for the 2nd time in 4 months
- 2022-01-13 Kroger and Nuro: Expanded collaboration
- 2022-01-12 Carrefour makes a new attempt to get a foothold in Greece
- 2022-01-12 Albertsons: Robust gains in net and identical sales in Q3
- 2022-01-11 JD.com opened 2 robotic shops “ochama” in the Netherlands
- 2022-01-11 PCC Community Markets and Shipt have joined forces
- 2022-01-10 Aldi UK: Best ever Christmas
- 2022-01-10 Ralphs and Kitchen United MIX: Opening of 1st location
- 2022-01-07 Seven Fresh plans to open 12 more stores in southern China in 2022
- 2022-01-07 Walmart and FedEx sign deals for thousands of new BrightDrop electric vans
- 2022-01-06 Auchan is exploring a fresh attempt at a takeover of domestic rival Carrefour SA - sources
- 2022-01-06 Costco: December sales results
- 2022-01-05 Aeon eyes 100 compact supermarket stores in Vietnam
- 2022-01-05 Walmart will expand the availability of its InHome delivery service to 30mln households