- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
- International Business Developer Indoor Farming
- Sales & Product Development Coordinator - Thornlands (QLD) Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Prices in Turkey are changing drastically from day to day"
- ALDI shopper encounters unwelcome guest in her broccoli
- Vertical Future raises £21 million to stabilize production in the UK
- Pricing strong--and possibly strengthening--on onions
- “There’s a high demand from China for Egyptian oranges, especially for Valencia”
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
France: Carrefour might rope in R Gopalan for multi-brand foray
Carrefour, which is yet to finalise its Indian joint venture partner, is looking at a senior bureaucrat to advise the group for its multi-brand kick-off in the country. This follows the recent Cabinet decision to allow up to 51 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail.
The Carrefour spokesperson in India did not respond to calls, email and text message sent by Business Standard on whether Gopalan would join the company to drive its multi-brand venture. Gopalan, too, did not reply to a text message on the same matter.
Many bureaucrats have in the recent past switched sides to join companies. Ashok Jha, former finance secretary, took over as president, Hyundai Motors, soon after his top job at the ministry. Jha is now the chairman, Multi Commodity Exchange.
Others who have moved from the government to the private sector include Rajeev Talwar, who quit the tourism ministry to join DLF, and Vijay Kelkar, former advisor to the finance minister, who was the non-executive chairman at National Stock Exchange till recently.
At present, Carrefour has two cash and carry or wholesale stores in India, where up to 100 per cent FDI is permitted.
The group, known for its supermarket and convenience store format in other parts of the world, has had a slow beginning in India. It opened the first cash and carry store in Delhi in December 2010 and the second in Jaipur a year later.
For its multi-brand foray in India, Carrefour was believed to be in talks with the Future group some time back; the buzz now is the two may revive dialogue as the government has lifted the ban on FDI in multi-brand retail. The group however may not be too aggressive in its launch plan immediately, due to the economic slowdown in Europe.
Carrefour, with yearly revenue topping ^100 billion, said in its annual report recently that in 2012 it intended to maintain strict financial discipline in response to a still challenging business environment. While it wanted to continue to focus on emerging markets, the preferred areas included China, Brazil and Indonesia, it said.
Like some other international retail majors such as Walmart and Tesco, it has been waiting for India to allow FDI in multi-brand retail. Carrefour India chief Jean Noel Bironneau had in May met Commerce Minister Anand Sharma to discuss retail business issues, including FDI.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-18 Aldi UK: First checkout-free store in Greenwich
- 2022-01-18 BYD partners with Nuro
- 2022-01-17 Walmart appears to be venturing into the metaverse
- 2022-01-17 Online grocery startup Tawfeer has announced its intention to expand across Egypt
- 2022-01-14 Jerónimo Martins surpassed the €20bln sales milestone
- 2022-01-14 Trigo tests frictionless stores for Wakefern Food Corp.
- 2022-01-13 Tesco raised its profit outlook for the 2nd time in 4 months
- 2022-01-13 Kroger and Nuro: Expanded collaboration
- 2022-01-12 Carrefour makes a new attempt to get a foothold in Greece
- 2022-01-12 Albertsons: Robust gains in net and identical sales in Q3
- 2022-01-11 JD.com opened 2 robotic shops “ochama” in the Netherlands
- 2022-01-11 PCC Community Markets and Shipt have joined forces
- 2022-01-10 Aldi UK: Best ever Christmas
- 2022-01-10 Ralphs and Kitchen United MIX: Opening of 1st location
- 2022-01-07 Seven Fresh plans to open 12 more stores in southern China in 2022
- 2022-01-07 Walmart and FedEx sign deals for thousands of new BrightDrop electric vans
- 2022-01-06 Auchan is exploring a fresh attempt at a takeover of domestic rival Carrefour SA - sources
- 2022-01-06 Costco: December sales results
- 2022-01-05 Aeon eyes 100 compact supermarket stores in Vietnam
- 2022-01-05 Walmart will expand the availability of its InHome delivery service to 30mln households