- Managing Director - Holland
- Farm Manager - Abu Dhabi
- Farm Manager greenhouse vegetable production – Vietnam
- COO Flower & Plant greenhouse production farm, Vietnam
- Sales Representative - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Hydroponics help us guarantee constant soft fruit supply"
- Final hurdle removed for bananas in fresh-cut industry
- Namibia will expropriate white-owned farms with ‘fair compensation’
- Anti-microbial tech for extending shelf-life gets USDA grant
- "We're able to finance growers and buyers on our trade platform"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Uganda develops Vitamin A rich bananas
The scientists responsible for the bananas say they are also resistant to nematodes.
Andrew Kiggundu, the research director at Uganda’s National Agricultural Research Organisation (Naro), said the enhancement of vitamin A and nematode resistance in bananas would improve the lives and nutritional state of Ugandans who lacked crucial nutrients.
"We also expect that we can recover 40 percent of losses if we can assist farmers with resistance to nematodes."
Vitamin A deficiency claims the lives of over 600,000 children each year in developing countries. The idea has been to provide more Vitamin A through foods that are staple in such countries.
Emily Twinamasiko, the director-general of Naro, said Uganda was plagued by various food security challenges, which had driven the organisation to explore biotechnology.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-11 Price of top-quality bananas is rising and pulling away from the price of medium-quality bananas
- 2019-12-10 Banana growers suffer cascading effect of Cyclone Gaja
- 2019-12-09 Banana taped to wall which sold for $120,000 was eaten
- 2019-12-06 vanWylick takes over banana ripening operations with a total capacity of approx. 46,000 cartons per week
- 2019-12-06 "Winter" for banana industry in China has come early
- 2019-12-05 Bananas to be exported thanks to Italian processes
- 2019-12-05 Introducing new slashing equipment on banana plantation has proved to be a real time-saver
- 2019-12-05 Chinese-backed banana plantations prompt fear of environmental damage
- 2019-12-05 Artsy. Duct-taped banana selling for $120,000 at Art Basel Miami
- 2019-12-04 Colder weather may stimulate banana trade
- 2019-12-04 Strategies to combat banana diseases discussed by researchers and scientists
- 2019-12-04 Banana exports Davao up in first half of 2019
- 2019-12-04 Nambucca banana growers determined to bounce back
- 2019-12-03 The surprising history of the banana
- 2019-12-03 Danish supermarkets to sell only organic bananas
- 2019-12-03 Pingtung banana sales to Japan double
- 2019-12-03 Russia facing banana shortage due to import ban for Ecuador
- 2019-12-03 "Banana exports from Myanmar to China set to increase"
- 2019-12-03 Artist Ricardo Cavolo to design limited-edition Chiquita stickers
- 2019-12-02 Bananas more expensive on Bermuda due to increased inspections