- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- General Manager - Farming / QLD, Australia
- Sales Manager
- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Trellising in avocado orchards is “pushing the boundaries of production"
- The avocado industry has been going through a "golden era"
Israel: Improvement in organic compliance
There has also been a fall in the amount of produce incorrectly labelled as being of organic production. This fell to 37.4% in 2011 from 91% in 2009. Residual pesticides were found in samples (zucchini and melons) out of the 54 samples of fruits and vegetables tested. The pesticides came from spraying of nearby non-organic crops.
According to the ministry 47% of stores surveyed properly classified organic food, 33% needed improvement, and 20% improperly classified organic produce. The stores failed the survey due to incorrect signs on shelves, use of bills of lading that were not in compliance with the law, produce marketed to stores in unmarked containers, and unlabelled organic produce.
Organic produce accounts for 1.5% of all agricultural produce grown in Israel, and 13% of agricultural exports, most of which goes to the EU. In 2009-10, Israel exported 68,337 tons of organic vegetables, 3,585 tons of organic fruit, and 1,670 tons of organic citrus. 650 people, including 380 farmers work in the organic produce sector. There are 78,000 dunam (19,500 acres) of organic crops.
The Ministry of Agriculture has overseen fresh and processed organic produce since 2008, when regulations on the production and sale of organic produce came into effect.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2013-11-29 Medjool dates from Israel proving to be 'foodie' favourite
- 2013-11-25 Israel turns to easy-peelers for citrus advantage
- 2013-11-21 Volcani Institute post-harvest innovations help Israeli growers
- 2013-11-18 Dubai vegetable and fruit trade sees 19% growth in first half of 2013
- 2013-11-15 Israeli exporters must find niche
- 2013-11-14 Ben Dor develops varieties with which to compete
- 2013-11-13 Galilee Export leverages power of growers to benefit growers
- 2013-11-12 Israeli citrus market starts to pick up
- 2013-11-06 Israel: Bless SR ships herbs east, looks west
- 2013-11-05 Gezer Shallit finds advantage in fresh carrots
- 2013-11-04 Israel: Microgreen grower 2BFresh to break open worldwide market
- 2013-11-01 Israel: Mor International covers gaps in persimmon season
- 2012-03-29 Pakistan: Imtiaz Enterprises awarded by USAID
- 2012-03-29 Israel: Mehadrin anticipates good season for Orri, Shamouti
- 2012-03-28 AgriJordan creating economic growth
- 2012-03-27 PICO to increase strawberry production 40%
- 2012-03-22 Israel: Orly to spread popularity of cactus
- 2012-03-21 Israel: Early rains affects Sharon fruit
- 2012-03-21 Israel: Improvement in organic compliance
- 2012-03-20 Tokita developing seeds for Middle East market