- Head of Horticulture - Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Executive Officer - Brisbane, Australia
- European Export Sales Manager (Asia Market)
- Greenhouse Manager - Carlisle (PA) USA
- Electricians / Irrigation Technicians International Horticultural Projects (USA)
- Regional Sales Manager - LED Horticulture / Benelux and France
- Sales Representatives Horticultural Greenhouses - Mexico
- Export Development Manager - Avocados Australia, Brisbane
- Chief Commercial Officer - Las Vegas (Nevada) USA
- Sales Executive
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Myanmar avocados trial in the UK
- Blueberry grower alleges United Exports claimed royalties on unregistered varieties
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL KAKI MARKET
- Destruction of vegetables in Almería due to the fall in prices this past week
- “The full weight of the ‘shared responsibility’ falls on the banana producers”
Top 5 -last month
Gala best selling apple variety in the USA followed by Honeycrisp
The top five apple varieties remained unchanged from November 2016: Gala, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Fuji, and Red Delicious. The top two – Gala and Honeycrisp – saw notable volume increases with Gala up 3.4% over the same time in 2015, and Honeycrisp movement up 2.5%.
“Volume increases on Honeycrisp and Gala tell us that promotions were in place on these key varieties in December. With larger fruit size this year, bulk promotions must run frequently on top varieties. Missing even one multi-variety ad can result in a dip in apple category performance, and with a produce department contribution of nearly 7%, that’s not something retailers can afford to have happen,” said Brianna Shales, Stemilt communications manager.
The average retail price for apples in the U.S. in December was $1.62 per pound. Bulk apples accounted for 62.9% of volume with an average retail of $1.74 per pound, while bags made up the remaining 37.1% and had an average retail of $1.41 per pound.
A deeper dive into bagged apples revealed that 3-pound and 5-pound bags are the top movers in the category. Three-pound bags made up 68.2% of volume following by five-pound bags at 14.6%, six-pound bags at 7.4%, and two-pound bags at 4.4%. Stemilt is a leader in the top two bag sizes thanks to its industry-leading Lil Snappers® 3lb. pouch bags of kid-sized apples, and new 5lb. Apple Lover packs. Both pouch bags are available in multiple varieties, and ideal for in-and-out promotions in the springtime.
“Spring is an important selling season for apples, and as it nears, retailers need to make sure plans are in place to keep every aspect of the category healthy. Promote bulk, bags, and organic while available to keep apple sales moving upwards,” said Shales.
For more information:
Stemilt Growers LLC
Tel: +1 509 662 9667 x1221
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-11-30 Chilean blueberry season continues at a slower pace than usual
- 2020-11-30 Blue Reine® in the spotlight ahead of the holiday season
- 2020-11-30 Contract farming as partnership model of the future
- 2020-11-30 "Lively exchange between German apple-growing regions'
- 2020-11-30 Vietnam: Dong Thap to expand fruit cultivation, improve fruit value
- 2020-11-30 The third edition of Seminis Winter Melon Event
- 2020-11-30 Chilean cherry season is about to hot up in Chinese market
- 2020-11-30 Giant grapes at € 250 per bunch
- 2020-11-30 "We want to be ready to deal with global warming"
- 2020-11-30 Iran: Annual apple production forecast to rise by 3%
- 2020-11-30 "Little competition from imported strawberries for now"
- 2020-11-30 Workforce support is the cherry on top for farmers
- 2020-11-30 "We have to sell a lot of pears to sell out by the end of July"
- 2020-11-30 Apples from Ukraine sent to UK
- 2020-11-30 Mexican raspberry production up again
- 2020-11-27 "The first 'Witte Wijn' apples are growing on South African soil again"
- 2020-11-27 1,186 tons of blueberries exported from Argentina in week 47
- 2020-11-27 Moldova 2020 apple harvest notably lower than forecasts
- 2020-11-27 Agri-food sector trusts that government will defend Mexican berries from US threats
- 2020-11-27 The Italia variety grape season is coming to an end