- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
German wholesaler Life Produce:
'The Middle Eastern market is the future'
The company specialises in Italian and Spanish grown fruit and vegetables, having their own growing regions in Italy and Spain, although CEO Emanuele Lauricella, says that the Spanish supply is the most in demand. The Spanish season started a bit late this year, but the wholesaler said that they were no issues with quality once they arrived.
When asked about competition for persimmons from Israel, Lauricella said, "I don't think that the Sharon fruit could become more competitive than the Spanish Kaki on the German market. For example, Israeli Orri clementines are, in my opinion, much better than the Spanish, but for whatever reason, they don't tend to 'move as well'."
There are not huge differences between the Sharon fruit and the Kaki, with the most difference being just the different varieties.
"The round Kaki, oval persimmon and tomato shaped Sharon, all have the same attributes. The smooth, shiny and thin skin, ranges in colour from yellow (unripe Sharon and persimmon) to a red orange (kaki, ripe persimmon), and as the fruit matures, it develops the texture of a kiwi. They are also known for their health attributes, which appeals to consumers."
Life Produce started supplying to the Middle East as of this year and Emanualle said that it has been a very interesting experience so far. In the future they would like to expand their exports to Jordan and Libya, but also have their sights set on sending more exports to the North American markets.
"Our customers have been thrilled with what they have received and we are looking forward to a great 2017 Kaki season. I am really happy with the market conditions in the Middle East, especially in comparison to Europe," shared Lauricella.
Emanuele Lauricella (left) with a Middle East exporter.
"I think that the Arab market is the future of this business! It is still a free market with lots of opportunities. The framework of the fruit and vegetable industry is open and we have a free trader there for the import/export business. I think that it is very important to get to know the market; what is in demand and, once this is clear, come into the market with new products."
For more information:
Life Produce GmbH
Tel: +49 211 39020567
Fax: +49 211 29364877
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-27 The cold will affect Peruvian mango production
- 2022-09-27 Australian mango production to ramp up in the Northern Territory through October
- 2022-09-27 "Turkish exotics are establishing themselves as interesting niche products"
- 2022-09-27 Little red gem sizing up on New Zealand orchards
- 2022-09-27 “We expect an increase of about 15% in kiwi production”
- 2022-09-27 Bumper garlic yield produced in Rangpur
- 2022-09-26 TROPS verifies the water and carbon footprint of its avocados
- 2022-09-26 The turnover of papaya in Guangxi has increased by more than 6 times in the past 5 years
- 2022-09-26 Ghana Export Promotion Authority targets US$2.8 billion annually from coconut exports
- 2022-09-26 Minister Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah woos investors for coconut industry
- 2022-09-26 Uzbekistan might increase its garlic exports to the EU
- 2022-09-26 Malaysia: Ministry earmarks Bintulu’s Batu 11 for agricultural food production
- 2022-09-26 Pineapples and dragon fruit are moved into a digital warehouse at origin
- 2022-09-23 The Government of the Canary Islands trains tropical pineapple producers from El Hierro on cultivation technologies
- 2022-09-23 Valencia's kaki harvest is expected to fall by more than 55%, generating more than €50 million in losses
- 2022-09-23 An international conference for the yellow kiwi Dorì in Romagna
- 2022-09-23 Kiwifruit picker pay troubles as Seeka and union prepare for 2023 harvest
- 2022-09-23 NZ: Use of kiwifruit bud starter is being reassessed
- 2022-09-23 Total value of coconut imports increased by 50% in the first 7 months
- 2022-09-23 Province of Lâm Đồng ships first 70 tons of durians to China